website statistics

European Championships 2018

Totallympics

1 minuto fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

In the Netherlands Eurosport showed a lot, as they would have done anyway.

The Dutch public broadcaster showed a bit less swimming and athletics than usual, as so often focussing more on talking about the sports than showing the sports ("We want to bring the stories. If a Cuban is fencing against a Hungarian, that is irrelevant for us." is a famous quote of the broadcaster boss before the Olympics). They showed some gymastics as they would do anyway (just not Epke Zonderland's final live on TV, since that was at the same time as when they have to show the Dutch football competition highlights, by law), cycling as they would do anyway and that's about it.

Nothing special and in the end it was basically treated as separate European championships. 

I hate this "American" approach to the sport so much...:facepalm::wall:

I'd really like to torture to death all those who show such a lack of love for the competition as it is, which to me is the pure essence of sport, the reason I like to watch so many different events, even if there isn't any national/nationalist interest...

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

I hate this "American" approach to the sport so much...:facepalm::wall:

I'd really like to torture to death all those who show such a lack of love for the competition as it is, which to me is the pure essence of sport, the reason I like to watch so many different events, even if there isn't any national/nationalist interest...

Torturing them to death seems a little extreme, but yeah, me and many Dutch sports fans hate it :p 

Anyway, during something like the Olympics there's never one broadcaster doing everything exactly how I want it, logically, so the Olympics is a matter of switching between Dutch, Belgian, British, German TV and Eurosport. Which also was the case now a few times, because the schedule was sometimes just too full, with for example swimming and athletics right after each other. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Torturing them to death seems a little extreme, but yeah, me and many Dutch sports fans hate it :p 

Anyway, during something like the Olympics there's never one broadcaster doing everything exactly how I want it, logically, so the Olympics is a matter of switching between Dutch, Belgian, British, German TV and Eurosport. Which also was the case now a few times, because the schedule was sometimes just too full, with for example swimming and athletics right after each other. 

when I watch an episode of Criminal Minds (and last night I watched one of those) my sadistic side always comes out bad...:rofl:

and yeah, at the Olympics it's always a furious switching between different tv channels to find what I really want to watch in a specific moment...

Edited by phelps

il y a 27 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

Shooting will surely be part of it in 4 years time, if the Championships are hosted in Rome...

and probably a few more disciplines (a couple of fighting sports between Judo, Wrestling or Taekwondo, too)...

At that point, I believe any individual olympic sport will want to take part during the next edition.

55 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

At that point, I believe any individual olympic sport will want to take part during the next edition.

Might as well just call it European Games by then. Oh wait.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 ore fa, phelps ha scritto:

in Italy they've been a huge success...

our public TV broadcasted almost every event, with 2 tv channels covering many hours a day (and 6 streams on theur website covering evrything in full)...

and also the tv ratings were getting better and better day by day, always keeping above the average numbers of the tv channel where they were broadcasted (and despite the time of competition was definitely not the best possible for the Italian tv viewers, with swimming finals in the afternoon -in the traditional hottest holiday week of the Summer- and athletics ending always too early -our primetime nowadays is from 21.15/21.30 to 23/23.30).

of course the excellent results (except for athletics and gymnastics, even if the junior gymnasts dominated the field both among the girls and the boys, but of course those events were not shown on tv) did help a lot.

and because of that, now it comes the worst part of it...it's strongly believed that Italy will host the next edition in 4 years time, thanks to a strong Rome bidding (by the time, the current disaster of a Mayor, Virginia Raggi, would be gone...so, non problem because of that)...:cry::facepalm:

a farce like the 2026 Winter Olympics bid wasn't enough...now we have to cope also with this one...:wall::wall::wall:

God (or whoever has a chance to do it), please...save us!!!

Rai made a great work with their app for Rio 2016, and I started thinking they could finally change, but I have to come back to my first opinion. Honestly, I don't get why with these championships it broadcasted national football cup and a television replication of an half-marathon in a town I've never heard before, instead of broadcasting other sports. Plus, I couldn't find the streaming and on the raisport website I couldn't connect to the web channels. I really don't get why raisport doesn't create a specific app with these channels on.

As regards the other part, I don't think it's a bad idea. I don't really get why it wasn't possible to host Olympics in Rome, at this point. Bach, for some reason, is in love with Italy and has more or less asked to present a bid and Italy is granted the olympics, but still we don't really want them.