website statistics

Women's Field Hockey Tournament at the Asian Games 2018

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

This document is a bit ambiguous: http://www.fih.ch/media/8997773/180406-ioc-approved-qualification-system.pdf

In the reallocation section, my interpretation is that any continental quota is reallocated to qualification play-offs (therefore rising their number of matches by 1) and then if a team that qualifies through play-offs declines the quota they won in them, only then the highest ranked non-qualified team gets the spot automatically.

I see it as the quota will be reallocated as below, as in how quotas that were won in Olympic Qualification Events will be reallocated.

hace 2 minutos, JoshMartini007 said:

I see it as the quota will be reallocated as below, as in how quotas that were won in Olympic Qualification Events will be reallocated.

hmm now that I see closer you may be right. The use of the term "for the olympic qualification events" makes it harder to understand. They should have just said "reallocated as below".

hace 7 minutos, JoshMartini007 said:

Wait, this is even more confusing to me: if you read the section below about host country quota it seems like by "qualification events" they only mean the play-offs (because they say they are "6/7")

:lol:

Although this is confusing to read, I think josh is right... so, no 8th play-off. Just an extra quota for whoever loses the play-offs and is ranked high.

Draw stays like I described but if South Africa declines continental then Chile goes a tier down, one team of pot 4 is out and that's it:

:ENG:GER:NZL Pot 1

:ESP:IRL:IND:KOR Pot 2

:CHN:USA:BEL( :RSA ) :CHI Pot 3 

:ITA:CZE:BLR Pot 4

Edited by LDOG

9 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Wait, this is even more confusing to me: if you read the section below about host country quota it seems like by "qualification events" they only mean the play-offs (because they say they are "6/7")

:lol:

Yeah the qualification documents can get quite confusing, especially when some of them may have been prepared by a non-native English speaker. I think it boils down to continental quotas can be reallocated to another nation from the same continent should they be in the top 20 (to prevent a weak African or Oceania team from qualifying) while all other reallocations just go to the highest ranked non-qualified teams from the intercontinental tournaments.

Does anyone know if South Africa will have the same policy of denying any continental quota won?

vor 8 Minuten schrieb JoshMartini007:

Does anyone know if South Africa will have the same policy of denying any continental quota won?

I don't know how they could. This time, whoever gets the continental qualification place doesn't even participate in the final play-offs. So South Africa winning the Africa Cup but not using the quota place would mean that they have no chance to take part at the Olympics, wouldn't it?

Edited by EselTheDonkey

hace 5 minutos, EselTheDonkey said:

This time, whoever gets the continental qualification place doesn't even participate in the final play-offs.

As long as they participate in hockey series and win there,  I don't know how they could be denied a place in play-offs :mumble:regardless of what they do with continental quota.

7 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

I don't know how they could. This time, whoever gets the continental qualification place doesn't even participate in the final play-offs. So South Africa winning the Africa Cup but not using the quota place would mean that they have no chance to take part at the Olympics, wouldn't it?

Assuming they deny the quota in time I imagine they would still qualify for the final play-offs (at the very least by being one of the highest ranked non-qualified nations). The FIH has been accommodating to them over the past couple of Olympics.

hace 1 minuto, JoshMartini007 said:

Assuming they deny the quota in time I imagine they would still qualify for the final play-offs (at the very least by being one of the highest ranked non-qualified nations). The FIH has been accommodating to them over the past couple of Olympics.

Yeah, last time world qualification took place before continental so it didn't matter, but back in 2012 continental was first, they declined it and then were allowed to participate in world qualification too.