website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

12 hours ago, LDOG said:

But at the world cup there are weak teams to rest players, in your format of 8 teams in which only 1 qualifies for final there are no possible "rest games" you have to play every match to the max or you lose. Rugby is very competitive among the top 10 teams, if let's say New Zealand doesn't play with their best team, they can lose to Scotland, for example.

OK. But nobody said that it will be easy. :)
That is a work for coaches how to use their squad in a better way.
The main thing is that teams have enough players for these 4 games.

Em 24/08/2016 at 04:43, juddy96 disse:

I think Swimming and Athletics are fine, they are meant to have that many events. I wouldn't remove Trampoline entirely, maybe replace the singles with tumbling?

This would be a good idea. Tumbling is exciting and has a wow factor that individual trampoline lacks, somehow.

Maybe they could keep individual trampoline with slightly modified rules. Compulsories are very boring to watch and unnapealing. Removing compulsory routines would improve things considerably.

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

This would be a good idea. Tumbling is exciting and has a wow factor that individual trampoline lacks, somehow.

Maybe they could keep individual trampoline with slightly modified rules. Compulsories are very boring to watch and unnapealing. Removing compulsory routines would improve things considerably.

I wouldn't really be for removing any events per se, although a few clever amendments could make some - 'painless' reductions. For example, instead of rotating the 6 team fencing events, make all team fencing mixed gender events (2 men, 2 women), so you only need 3 team events, and only 2 men, not three and 2 women, not three, for those teams...so every fencer still has the same number of golds to go for (1 indy, 1 team) but noone loses out because their team event is on an off year, and we have one less event. Do the same with Archery. Do the same with table tennis. Hey presto, you've saved three events and about 40 athletes

I would actually be for adding events, so long as you don't have to add athletes - if you cut 20 from the road races, you could easily put that twenty into the velodrome and restart the blue riband events, Indy pursuit and Kilo, and even points race. Most of the world class guys will already be there, so you only need a tiny handful more to cover. The BMX races should be 6's not 8's for pure safety reasons 32 men, 16 women should become 24 men 24 women , and BMW time trial should be added as a stand alone event with the same athletes.

Another basic rule is - if you're going to build a venue, get the use out of it. Including the Slalom course and the velodrome

I cannot for the life of me understand the mentality that only cares about team sports - they use more athletes for less reward than the other sports, and yet exclude 200 countries from the outset. They are assuredly NOT the 'best sports', and I can't really take that idea seriously. If you want that kind of saturation, watch a world cup, not the olympics.

I'm bemused by the addition of Karate, at least in the form included - Kata?? Seriously, phantom pretend fighting? As an olympic sport?? Even the Kumite event don't seem to actually involve striking the opponant, which seems to render it all fairly meaningless as far s martial arts and combat sports go.

• Archery: add mixed team event.
  • Athletics: remove 50km walk.
  • Badminton: add men's and women's team events. Have 64 player singles draws, 32 teams doubles draws and 16 team mixed doubles draw. Remove group stages.
  • Baseball/Softball: remove.
  • Boxing: add two women's weight classes.
  • Cycling: add road team time trial, road criterium, track madisson, BMX time trial.
  • Canoeing Slalom: remove men's C-2, replace it by women's C-1. Hold team events for all boats.
  • Canoeing Sprint: men's and women's C-1 200, C-1 1000m, C-2 1000m, K-1 200, K-1 1000, K-1 10000, K-2 1000 and K-4 1000. 
  • Fencing: add two team events so we can stop the farce of the team event rotation.
  • Golf: add a men's and women's team event (four person scramble over the first two rounds of the individual event) and a men's, women's and mixed pair matchplay event.
  • Gymnastics: add men's and women's synchronized trampoline and tumbling.
  • Judo: add men's and women's team event.
  • Karate: remove kumite, add team kata.
  • Modern Pentathlon: remove.
  • Rowing: remove men's LW4-, add women's 4-.
  • Sailing: have men's and women's sailboat, one person dinghy, two person dinghy, skiff, kitesurfing and multihull.
  • Shooting: have men's and women's 50m pistol, 25m rapid fire pistol, 10m air riffle, 50m air riffle three position, trap, double trap and skeet.
  • Skateboarding: add vert.
  • Sports Climbing: change the name to climbing. Remove combined event, add speed, lead and bouldering events.
  • Surfing: remove.
  • Swimming: add men's 800m freestyle and women's 1500m freestyle.
  • Synchronized Swimming: remove.
  • Table tennis: add men's, women's and mixed doubles. Allow three per country in singles.
  • Taekwondo: add two weight classes per gender.
  • Tennis: add men's and women's team event.
  • Triathlon: add mixed relay.
  • Weightlifting: add an eighth women's weight class.
  • Wrestling: remove Greco-Roman, add seventh freestyle weight class for both men and women.

Squash: men's and women's singles and team.

5 hours ago, hckosice said:

I really don´t get what peoples have against the 50k :dunno: In fact I´m really surprised by so many removing proposals..dear lord thats just the best athletics event...

It's interesting how many people want canoe slalom and 50km walk out. The only events where Slovakia won gold :p

#banbestmen

The race walk has always had people against it and the 50km is an easier target since it does not have a women's event. I would personally like to see a shorter distance. My high school events had 2km walks, though IAAF has had 5km events for younger people.

Canoe slalom is also an easy target, not very popular outside of Europe and requires a sport specific venue which costs the host money.

18 horas atrás, mpjmcevoy disse:

I wouldn't really be for removing any events per se, although a few clever amendments could make some - 'painless' reductions. For example, instead of rotating the 6 team fencing events, make all team fencing mixed gender events (2 men, 2 women), so you only need 3 team events, and only 2 men, not three and 2 women, not three, for those teams...so every fencer still has the same number of golds to go for (1 indy, 1 team) but noone loses out because their team event is on an off year, and we have one less event. Do the same with Archery. Do the same with table tennis. Hey presto, you've saved three events and about 40 athletes

I like this idea very much. It fits the Olympics well, and since Equestrian does this flawlessly, I can see mixed gender team events in Archery, Table Tennis and Fencing working out.

I've always thought a mixed gender Artistic Gymnastics team event would be insanely fun to watch. Or maybe a huge Gymnastics team event, pretty much like they did with Figure Skating in 2014, where countries would earn points for placements in Men's Artistic, Women's Artistic, Rhythmics and Trampoline. The problem is that only Russia, China, USA, Japan, Ukraine, the host nation and probably Belarus and Canada would consistently qualify athletes for all four disciplines. 

52 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The race walk has always had people against it and the 50km is an easier target since it does not have a women's event. I would personally like to see a shorter distance. My high school events had 2km walks, though IAAF has had 5km events for younger people.

Canoe slalom is also an easy target, not very popular outside of Europe and requires a sport specific venue which costs the host money.

I already explained somewhere in this forum, that nowhere is written that canoe slalom must have at olympics a ultra mega modern complex like they constructed in London or Beijing. Even the best ever races were simply held on rivers. remember Atlanta 1996. They just used the Ocoee river and the competitions are still ranked as one of the best ever of the history of this sport..

No, seriously I assume each Nation who is actually thinking about hosting the olympics probably has some 200 metres of river in their country...really, there no need to build I don´t know how much extremely special venue..this is just a bullshit..it´s the same like if peoples will say me we can not host sailing because we haven´t a modern venue..but still the most important is just to have a small port with a mole and to have sea access...I never heard anyone complaining that there no fantastic building, stands and venue for sailing..always only for canoe slalom...for everything on earth..canoe slalom need just a small part of a wild water river thats all. many competitions of the canoe slalom season are actually on rivers, even this weekend the european U23 and junior championships are on a Slovenian river and I watched some races today and they were very entertaining.

I can´t find videos from Atlanta ocoee 1996 competitions in youtube. only the race of Martikán from our TV..but if you look on it you just can watch that really there no need to build any expensive venue