website statistics

Women's Handball IHF Youth World Championship 2018

Totallympics

Apparently Brazil has notified the IHF that they won't be able to send a team, so Austria replaces them. I'm curious what happened...I know there have been huge budget cuts in Brazilian sports recently, but on their website's federation I read this 'clarification note' which seems to talk about a police operation against them last month? ("Operation Seven Meters" if I'm not mistaken, that's creative :p )

http://www.brasilhandebol.com.br/Admin/Anexos/003048_Nota de Esclarecimento.pdf

@thiago_simoes @vinipereira @juliosilva Could you help out with what this stuff means? My Portuguese is good enough to sort of get the general lines, but not good enough for more detailed information and Google Translate doesn't work in this case :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Apparently Brazil has notified the IHF that they won't be able to send a team, so Austria replaces them. I'm curious what happened...I know there have been huge budget cuts in Brazilian sports recently, but on their website's federation I read this 'clarification note' which seems to talk about a police operation against them last month? ("Operation Seven Meters" if I'm not mistaken, that's creative :p )

@thiago_simoes @vinipereira @juliosilva Could you help out with what this stuff means? My Portuguese is good enough to sort of get the general lines, but not good enough for more detailed information and Google Translate doesn't work in this case :p 

You're right. The federal police knocked on their door and now they're acting all surprised. There are three different police forces in Brazil: civil (they basically investigate crimes), military (they patrol the streets) and the federal police (they combat terrorism, drug trafficking, money laundry... all the big stuff). If the someone from the federal police knocks on your door, you know you screwed things up BIG time. Apparently, the federal police is asking questions about the 2011 World Championships which were staged in Brazil and caused a huge loss of money for the Brazilian Handball Federation. The president of federation at the time was also accused of corruption and money laundry. I think they changed the president, but the federation is pretty much short of money so they have no means to send athletes to major competitions. The Brazilian Olympic Committee usually helps when things get rough, but they are also short on money, and they have to invest in other sports too (rumors say that Valeri Liukin will be hired as the head coach of the women's artistic gymnastics team, and if this turns out to be true, the BOC will be the entity responsible for paying his salary, so they are not wasting any more money on the handball federation anytime soon).

58 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

You're right. The federal police knocked on their door and now they're acting all surprised. There are three different police forces in Brazil: civil (they basically investigate crimes), military (they patrol the streets) and the federal police (they combat terrorism, drug trafficking, money laundry... all the big stuff). If the someone from the federal police knocks on your door, you know you screwed things up BIG time. Apparently, the federal police is asking questions about the 2011 World Championships which were staged in Brazil and caused a huge loss of money for the Brazilian Handball Federation. The president of federation at the time was also accused of corruption and money laundry. I think they changed the president, but the federation is pretty much short of money so they have no means to send athletes to major competitions. The Brazilian Olympic Committee usually helps when things get rough, but they are also short on money, and they have to invest in other sports too (rumors say that Valeri Liukin will be hired as the head coach of the women's artistic gymnastics team, and if this turns out to be true, the BOC will be the entity responsible for paying his salary, so they are not wasting any more money on the handball federation anytime soon).

Thanks, that's pretty clear. And rather sad to see a highly expensive coach being brought in resulting in other sport having to cut their budgets even more....like the university sports federation which basically has 0 reais left to send athletes to the Universiades (Brazil won't go to this season's Winter Universiade and most likely neither to the Summer Universiade, or with a tiny team), or the snow sports federation CBDN (although they actually do have money, but just spend it in really strange and unncessary ways instead of focussing on all athletes). 

Anyway, thanks, the handball situation is rather clear now..and sad.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Brazil won't go to this season's Winter Universiade and most likely neither to the Summer Universiade, or with a tiny team), or the snow sports federation CBDN (although they actually do have money, but just spend it in really strange and unncessary ways instead of focussing on all athletes).

It's sad but no one cares about the Universiade in Brazil. Some athletes decide to pay for the travel expenses and their accommodation, which leads to strange things like two very weak girls being sent to compete in rhythmic gymnastics at the 2017 Universiade while Jade Barbosa, who could have earned a medal in artistic gymnastics, stayed home.

I don't blame our Olympic Committee, though. They gave LOTS of money to all federations for the 2016 Olympics, but every day it seems like there's a new scandal being mentioned on the newspapers because a president of a sports federation, or a politician, stole part (I mean, a huge part) of the money that was meant to help the training of the athletes.

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

It's sad but no one cares about the Universiade in Brazil. Some athletes decide to pay for the travel expenses and their accommodation, which leads to strange things like two very weak girls being sent to compete in rhythmic gymnastics at the 2017 Universiade while Jade Barbosa, who could have earned a medal in artistic gymnastics, stayed home.

I don't blame our Olympic Committee, though. They gave LOTS of money to all federations for the 2016 Olympics, but every day it seems like there's a new scandal being mentioned on the newspapers because a president of a sports federation, or a politician, stole part (I mean, a huge part) of the money that was meant to help the training of the athletes.

Nobody in the Netherlands cares about the Universiade neither (there's no news about it whatsoever), but at least last time the university sports federation in Brazil had enough money to even send a small team to the Winter Universiade in Kazakhstan. Yeah, somehow the 2016 Olympics even meant a huge financial boost for the winter federations in Brazil, oddly enough, but sadly that's now entirely gone. Personally I'm hoping my girlfriend will split away from the Brazilian snow sports federation and try and finance herself, because depending on the federation might be career-ending for all kinds of reasons.

Anyhow, back to handball I guess :p 

Good start for the Dutch girls, beating Japan. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2018 at 09:09, heywoodu said:

In addition to all the things already explained, brazilian Handball also lost the sponsorship of Banco do Brasil, which was HUGE. Even though the bank didn't said it, it was pretty clear that this cut was because of the corrupt handball federation. The sport still is receiving money from other sources, but will have to be more careful with its expenses from now on :evil:

Results:

Results from the championship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Women's_Youth_World_Handball_Championship

3rd place match: :KORSouth Korea 34-27 :SWESweden

Final: :RUSRussia 29-27 :HUNHungary

Final Ranking:

1  :RUS

2  :HUN

3  :KOR

4  :SWE

5  :GER

6  :DEN

7  :NED

8  :ESP

9   :ROU