website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread

heywoodu

Forecasts are getting worse almost by the hour.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I hate to even think about what this means for the Rohingya...(definitely didn’t spell that right).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I hate to even think about what this means for the Rohingya...(definitely didn’t spell that right).

And dozens of millions of others who are pretty much directly in the path, like Calcutta.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And dozens of millions of others who are pretty much directly in the path, like Calcutta.

At least most of them have actual houses and governments that will do their best to help them.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Still one day to go for landing, enough time to withdraw if informed and organized well. The wooden shelter would be destroyed for sure, but life should be saved. And this level typhoon appear in west pacific almost every year, so called strongest, but people are getting numbed (for Japan and China).

3 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Still one day to go for landing, enough time to withdraw if informed and organized well. The wooden shelter would be destroyed for sure, but life should be saved. And this level typhoon appear in west pacific almost every year, so called strongest, but people are getting numbed (for Japan and China).

China or Japan are generally built a bit better to withstand a monster like this than India and especially Bangladesh though..

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

China or Japan are generally built a bit better to withstand a monster like this than India and especially Bangladesh though..

Bangladesh would probably be the worst of India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, but all the rural areas and slums will be hit hard. Refugee areas will easily be the worst if be the coast though.

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't mean to be merciless for Indian or Bengalis. I know the quality of infrastructure is the key to typhoon and west pacific countries are much more experienced.

It just reminds me of the so called strongest typhoon landing Japan last year. The media repeated days before it landing and describe how terrible it would be. All food stores in Tokyo are empty after panic buying. It turned out just a heavy rain for one day. The second day is back to normal. These kind of stories just repeat again and again. I was also one of the panic buying guys when I studied in Hong Kong where often disturbed by typhoon and I knew sleeping and watching TV is fine.