website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans Thread (2016 & 2017)

heywoodu

4 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

There is nothing more i would love then to have the entire russian delegation expelled.  Not because im scared of russian athletes.  Americans pretty much spanked them even with doping but i simply hate the country so much.  And i was born in Kiev btw....   why? Thats not something im going to get into.  At the end of the day probably the only sport that is untouched by doping is team sport. So my guess is that they will let them at least compete in the team sport they qualified to. However if they do they need to compete under intenational flag.   We cant take the risk of russia appearing in the medal table! And the russian flag cannot appear in the opening ceremony!!!   It will be the loudest boos in the history of sport   

Calm down, Bro.

The Russian state-sponsored doping is indeed really bad and this must be stopped. But imagine if you want to stop tree disease from a forest, destroying the whole forest won't help at all. We need to find a quick and effective way to eliminate this. My personal opinion is if we have to ban Russia in Rio, just allow the sports which has proved clean competitors only and do it as usual.

Plus, I doubt there will be loud boos.. Brazilian President is the more likely target.

Edited by Griff88

10 hours ago, nenad said:

that's because americans and british are all clean, they are superhumans and are able to beat doped russians. oh, wait that's Rocky.

it will be huge win for clean sport when Britney Reese jumps 7,50 in Rio

Are all American and British athletes clean. The answer is no, but in the case of GB - I can't speak for the US - the BOC has always taken a hardline against drug cheats and, until forced to overturn the rule by WADA, they banned them for life. Denmark was the only other country to take a similar line. If any British athlete has used drugs in order to enhance their performance then I hope they will be exposed by the testers in Rio.

As has been mentioned elsewhere there is a world of difference between state sponsored doping on a mass scale as occurred in the old East Germany and now appears to be the case in Russia, and individual coaches and athletes using drugs to cheat the competition in countries like the US. Both are unacceptable but clearly the former is much more serious simply because of the breadth of it and the collusion of various organs of the state.

I'm sorry to see that much of the debate has been political rather than considering the effect of doping/cheating on the athletes. Firstly, those who are being cheated out of medals and the financial benefits that may go with them, but equally those Russian athletes who have been placed under pressure to take drugs in order to pursue a political agenda and by doing so are placing their health at risk.

Will Russia be banned from Rio? My guess is yes or the IOC and the Olympic Games will have no credibility left. If Russia was present each time her athletes won a medal there would be a huge cloud over both them and the event. Will there be drug cheats present in Rio? Undoubtedly, and we can only hope that they are caught no matter which country they originate from and exposed to the ridicule and punishment they fully deserve. I for one am sick of having to see proven drug cheats like Gatlin and Efimova lining up at major championships and favour lifetime bans.

il y a 16 minutes, DaniSRB a déclaré:

looks like USA, Canada, Spain (:lol:), Japan, Switzerland and Germany are among those who asked Russian expulsion

Indeed, that's ridiculous.

By the way, since when, national anti doping agencies have a say in other countries affairs ?

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Indeed, that's ridiculous.

By the way, since when, national anti doping agencies have a say in other countries affairs ?

I don't know.....i just read this on one volleyball page

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Rhetoric question.

They don't. It's not their business to call for other country to be banned.

no, i mean it did not say who was demaning, NOCs or anti-doping agencies or someone highers, just countries were named

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

Rhetoric question.

They don't. It's not their business to call for other country to be banned.

Well, the National anti doping committees wants a clean sport. If a country doesn't work for that, why shouldn't they?

Juste maintenant , Agger a déclaré:

Well, the National anti doping committees wants a clean sport. If a country doesn't work for that, why shouldn't they?

It's not their mandate to do so, it's WADA's one. Their duty stops within their own boundaries.

Besides, seeing - among any other countries - the US and Canada calling for the ban, makes the theory of a political move credible and, in fine, downgrade the argument.