website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2022

rybak

35 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah in the end I guess it's just impossible to really solve these issues...

Well, for starters, EBU should really REALLY crack down on some of these juries.

Hire some statisticians, look if there are any common trends in voting every year. Crack down on those countries that keep inviting the same jurors every year.

More younger faces, less old faces, could possibly lessen the amount of neighbour point trades.

Diaspora and viewers are not really things that you can control, but the amount of shit that juries get away with is just fucked. 

41 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Well, for starters, EBU should really REALLY crack down on some of these juries.

Hire some statisticians, look if there are any common trends in voting every year. Crack down on those countries that keep inviting the same jurors every year.

More younger faces, less old faces, could possibly lessen the amount of neighbour point trades.

Diaspora and viewers are not really things that you can control, but the amount of shit that juries get away with is just fucked. 

And then you get a jury that actually does a good job (Ukraine) and their own freaking minister turns out to be a moron who is angry at it :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, dcro said:

As for Croatia, to the surprise of no one, we have failed to make the final yet again. The last time we made it was 2016, which was incidentally the last time Bosnia and Herzegovina competed as well. :p And before 2016, we have to go back to 2009. :wacko:

But :BIH is not coming back... ever. Ex-yu was a big thorn in the ESC's eye for years, but alas they managed to solve it for good. :p

Jacques Houdek from 2017 says hi :d

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

And then you get a jury that actually does a good job (Ukraine) and their own freaking minister turns out to be a moron who is angry at it :lol: 

Yeah, that article, I was reading it and I couldn't believe what I was reading :lol: 

Not to toot our own horn, but I think that the Lithuanian jury lately has been doing a pretty good job. Though I guess yesterday kind of discounts my point a bit, but I remember many years when I was very proud of our voting and it usually aligns fairly well with my music taste. 

23 hours ago, Agger said:

How is Azerbaijan among the ones getting most 12's?

$$$$

23 hours ago, NearPup said:

:SUI got zero points from the public, well deserved.

Kind of crazy that the juries helped this horrible Swiss song make the final, meanwhile the juries screwed Switzerland in 2013 and 2017 and kept them out of the final with much better songs.

23 hours ago, NearPup said:

lol :AZE - 103 jury votes, 3 public votes, :AUS 123 jury votes, 2 public votes. Ooooof.

Azerbaijan and Australia are two countries that always benefit massively from the juries. Year after year...

22 hours ago, LDOG said:

Curious about which countries didn't give max points to Ukraine.

I'm surprised Albania gave us 12 in the tele vote. I didn't expect the Greek minority in Albania to be so effective especially since Amanda isn't a household name for Greeks. The Albanian public only gave us 3 points in 2017 and 2 in 2019, but now last year we got 8 (we would've gotten 10 had Switzerland's singer not been of Albanian origin) and this year 12 points. Reminds me of the old days when they would always give us 10 or 12. The last time they gave us 12 was in 2012. Between 2008 and 2013, Albania gave Greece 10 or 12 each time.

The same goes for the Albanian immigrants in Greece. They got 12 from our tele vote in the semifinals this year. Ukraine got 10 from us in the semi finals but 12 in the final (as Albania did not qualify). I've also noticed that diaspora voting tends to be more effective in semi finals, I guess because less people watch/vote, so I wonder if Albania would've gotten 12 from us in the final or if it still would've gone to Ukraine.

22 hours ago, DaniSRB said:

yes, in the end we got graphics with domestic votes

i guess our jury gave 0 because in 2004, 2007 and 2012 we fought with Ukraine for 1st place so just for any case 😂

I don't think "Be My Guest" in 2012 was fighting for 1st place :lol:

22 hours ago, Agger said:

I didn't feel the song but yet somehow it feels like the best Ukrainian winner :p

Wild Dances > Stefania > 1944

4 hours ago, dcro said:

As for Croatia, to the surprise of no one, we have failed to make the final yet again. The last time we made it was 2016, which was incidentally the last time Bosnia and Herzegovina competed as well. :p And before 2016, we have to go back to 2009. :wacko:

But :BIH is not coming back... ever. Ex-yu was a big thorn in the ESC's eye for years, but alas they managed to solve it for good. :p

Croatia got ROBBED in 2021.

Sorry for my late replies, I am just catching up now.

I think if Ukraine can't host then Great Britain should as runners-up. Although I feel that a lot of Ukraine's points would've gone to Spain and have pushed them into first place had the war not happened.

I like Stefania although I think it probably would've been top 5-8 or so in a regular year and not the winner. It's crazy that they were 2nd in the Ukrainian national final but 1st in Europe :d

I'm happy Spain did so well for the first time in forever. They have potential to be a Eurovision powerhouse so perhaps this is the start of a strong era for them. If they continue to send good songs which we know they are capable of, they will regularly be on the left side of the scoreboard.

Also I'm glad that Greece gave Lithuania 5 televoting points in the semifinal. Nice to know my efforts were rewarded and my 20 votes weren't wasted :thumbup:

Lastly the juries are a joke. These "music professionals" are mostly a bunch of nobodies, at least for Greece I can say that. Every year I see the names of the jury members and it's rare that I've heard of more than 1 of the 5. All of them rating Azerbaijan 1st except one (the only person I've actually heard of) rated them 2nd. I mean come on...

Perhaps only previous contestants can be jury members, maybe that would make it more credible? The current system is broken.

Greece got 12 televoting points from Norway in the semifinal, but in the final only 7. Ukraine and Lithuania (countries from the same semifinal as Greece) got more televoting points than us in the final from Norway.

Always interesting to see these things.

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Wild Dances > Stefania > 1944

I believe you meant 1944 > Stefania > Wild Dances :p

1944 is easily one of my favorite songs to come out of Eurovision.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela