website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2022

rybak

I have listened to all the top tier bookie favorite songs and man, this might be the worst Eurovision in a very long time, maybe the worst since I started watching ESC. Last year wasn't that great either, but at least I got a very strong feeling about Italy winning early on and it proved to be right. This time... I am not feeling any of the songs, which is a first for me. Either some good staging saves the contest or Ukraine will win by default.

But I do "secretly" hope that the UK somehow pulls this one off, the song has some winning potential in this weak edition, and it would be a great to see a country to go from the double 0 points of 2021 to win in 2022. 

The staging usually elevates the songs, but i agree that we have hit the bottom this year (yes, i probably say this every year). I was very underwhelmed with 2021 too before the shows, but then i flipped my opinion after seeing the performances live. Don't know right now, if this year can be saved though. I hate how much more political everything has become with Eurovision the last couple of years. Ukraine winning twice in six editions out of pity is going to be underwhelming. Only good outcome i see is Spain winning after over half a century, or Italy making the double, which hasn't happened in 30 years, which in modern times is unimaginable, as their 2 songs are the most stand-out ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting off topic.

I always was persuaded Slovakia is generally the country with the lowest public interest in this, like absolute mimimum average viewership (which was apparently the official reason announced from our TV to withdraw .... permanently :p) but I was surprised to hear in a radio that results from a poll claimed we are 2nd, nearly beaten by Andorra :p

Also no wonder we never received any votes, Apparently :CZE and :SVK competed in Eurovision together only once in 2009 (and each one in a different semifinal :lol:)

...end of off topic

5 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I wonder if Slovakia would ever come back if the Czechs win in the near future?

Hard to say, but I doubt we will return anytime soon

It is complicated topic and depends on several factors.

The truth is that for different reasons

(First, the competition is always in May during the most watched event in Slovakia, the World Hockey Championships, no normal TV in our country will spend so much money to have a program which will hardly achieve 10 % viewership as max, but mainly the general disinterest among population caused by very poor results and that weird feeling about eurovision being non-objective and fixed competition - I swear this is what people says here :p),

that competition has never been successful or watched. For example, I am convinced that the vast majority of people do not even know who won the last edition. I personally do not remember when I saw Eurovision for the last time, maybe more than 10 years (but this mostly due hockey worlds, not because of personal boycot or something like that ;)).

On 4/30/2022 at 8:53 AM, hckošice said:

Hard to say, but I doubt we will return anytime soon

It is complicated topic and depends on several factors.

The truth is that for different reasons

(First, the competition is always in May during the most watched event in Slovakia, the World Hockey Championships, no normal TV in our country will spend so much money to have a program which will hardly achieve 10 % viewership as max, but mainly the general disinterest among population caused by very poor results and that weird feeling about eurovision being non-objective and fixed competition - I swear this is what people says here :p),

that competition has never been successful or watched. For example, I am convinced that the vast majority of people do not even know who won the last edition. I personally do not remember when I saw Eurovision for the last time, maybe more than 10 years (but this mostly due hockey worlds, not because of personal boycot or something like that ;)).

I just saw news thay Radio FM in Slovakia will broadcast grand final of that show, at least something 😜

Now, since TAISC finished we may focused on Eurovision, of which Grand Final will take place exactly in next week, with first semifinal already in Tuesday. Below is top40 of an eurovision fan on YT after second round of rehearsals, if someone doesn't want see spoilers please avoid it :d 

Tomorrow Opening Ceremony, also called "Turquoise Carpet" will take place, you can watch it in video below, from 16:00 CEST

And now question, who according you, have the biggest chances for victory? For me, considering results from previous editions the biggest chance have Italy, Netherlands, Greece and Poland (in case of Poland it isn't just wishfully thinking, but we really have chances considering odds and reactions in press center after rehearsals).