website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

2 minutes ago, Ted said:

Lindsay Van Who???

Zundert.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, Ted said:

Is she a Paralympic athlete?

Our first figure skater at the Olympics in decades. She finished 16th at the last World Championships, just enough to meet the Dutch and international selection criteria.

17 minutes ago, Ted said:

Is she a Paralympic athlete?

When I Googled her name I saw she's a figure skater, but I can't say I've really been following her results and such :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Wasn't there some minor drama whether van Zundert actually makes WOG even after that breakthrough result at the Worlds? I remember someone saying Dutch NOC doesn't care about figure skating and such :wacko:

At the time, the Dutch NOC hadn't published their internal selection criteria yet. Because of these ridiculously difficult national standards, there were still some doubts about whether or not the top 16 would enough to be qualified for the Olympics. Eventually they decided that a top 16 finish was just enough.

Another way for Lindsay to qualify was to score at least 186 points twice during the qualification period, which was the period between the World Championships at the end of March 2021 until the end of 2021. That score would be enough to finish top 9 at the European Championships last week or 12th at the latest World Championships. :facepalm:

8 hours ago, dcro said:

I think they were just really surprised with that 16th place, so they decided to have a figure skater for the first time since Innsbruck 1976.

Netherlands has a couple of figure skating medals, including a gold from 1964.

Yes, it was a popular trivia when they won snowboard gold in 2010 since not many people realized all their WOG medals don't come from speed skating :p

36 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yes, it was a popular trivia when they won snowboard gold in 2010 since not many people realized all their WOG medals don't come from speed skating :p

Still tickles me that the Netherlands' 100th Olympic gold medal was won in... snowboarding. Of all sports.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, dcro said:

I think they were just really surprised with that 16th place, so they decided to have a figure skater for the first time since Innsbruck 1976.

Netherlands has a couple of figure skating medals, including a gold from 1964.

3 medals in FS to be exact with the 1976 one.  That third one though caused a lot of controversy at the time in the USA.