website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Biggest Gold Medal Favourites

Just now, rafalgorka said:

Do you know any sportsman who CAN'T lose? please, tell me ;-)

Relatively speaking, of course ;) 

Talking about people or teams with like a 90+% chance to win the gold (like Katie Ledecky in the long distances, where basically the only thing that can stop her is if she gets sick or injured). Most events of course don't have anyone who has such a huge chance to win :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minut temu, heywoodu napisał:

Aaaaaaand gone is her world record :p 

Oh, this was amazing swim by Kathleen Baker last night! I watched it on YT few times already. Hats off! This duel - Baker and Masse - with some young breakthrough from JPN may be one of he best races in Tokyo IMO

Edited by rafalgorka
mistakes mistakes mistakeS

Przed chwilą, heywoodu napisał:

Relatively speaking, of course ;) 

Talking about people or teams with like a 90+% chance to win the gold (like Katie Ledecky in the long distances, where basically the only thing that can stop her is if she gets sick or injured). Most events of course don't have anyone who has such a huge chance to win :p 

Yes, I can be the 8789889th person to write here - Katie Ledecky 400, 800, 1500 free and 800 free in a slightly-colder-water, but why to write it if it's soooooo obvious ??? :-)

Just now, rafalgorka said:

Yes, I can be the 8789889th person to write here - Katie Ledecky 400, 800, 1500 free and 800 free in a slightly-colder-water, but why to write it if it's soooooo obvious ??? :-)

Because that's exactly what this thread is about (the biggest gold medal favourites of the entire Olympics) :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Would you put somebody from Poland in this thread? I'm curious

Pawel Fajdek? Honestly I don't follow the hammer throw so much to know if he's really that dominant.

This season he's not. He has a rival from Poland now - Wojciech Nowicki, he even lost Polish National Champs to him. And Nowicki has the bronze from Rio. The same Rio where Fajdek didn't make it through the qualifiactions.

There are no dominants in Polish sports right now, I'm afraid. The closest to that is Anita Włodarczyk in Women's hammer but she has a very strong rivals from USA now, and when Russians are allowed to compete in full squad in Tokyo - there will be some strong players from Russia, too

But thanks for your belief in Fajdek - he's a nice and funny guy anyway

Edited by rafalgorka
mistakes mistakes mistakes

From Holland I would say Marit Bouwmeester, am I right? ;-)

Because women's road cycling doesn't really follow the rules you mentioned - you have like 3-4 women who can win gold both in road race and time trial, lucky you :-) You cannot pick just one of them so simply

Edited by rafalgorka
addition

1 ora fa, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

How old will Pellegrine be by then? Must be around 40. I think not winning her 40th gold medal at world championships by losing to Pellegrini wasnt something that gave Ledecky nightmares. Where exactly was Pellegrini at the last two olympics?

32 at the end of the games (late August)...

in London she clearly missed out on the entire meet (she was swinging from Lucas and our federal site in Verona...and obviously she was caught in between the war those 2 were making)...and still she was 5th in the 200m...

in Rio she ended up 4th despite she had very big "period" troubles just a short time before the final...had she been not so unlucky, she would have been there with Ledecky and Sjostrom until the last stroke for sure...

remember..."never underestimate the heart of a champion" (cit.)...

p.s. looking at how she reacted (and how she started the season, with a world record so early last Winter), last year Ledecky was more than annoyed by the only defeat of her career since London 2012...:whistle:

p.p.s. I just read an interview with Niccolò Campriani...and he says he's not excluding at 100% his comeback (I guess he's being put under heavy, heavy pressure by our NOC...and actually I also think he's too young to really retire from such discipline like shooting -he normally was one of the youngest starters in all the finals he's done in his life)...

if this comeback will really happen, it would increase our medal chance at least by 3 (his 2 individual events + the mixed air rifle competition with his fiancèe -wife? I don't know if they got married in the meantime or not- Petra Zublasing)...

because if he's coming back, he's gonna be the main favourite in all these events, I think...