website statistics

Open Water Swimming at the Aquatics LEN European Championships 2018

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Rasovszky was clearly ahead, he threw away the gold at the finish. :facepalm:

Yep, he seemed to forget that Weertman is known for having the fastest sprint of everyone in the open water. Or of course Rasovszky just couldn't go any faster :p 

Anyway, epic finish when after nearly 2 hours of swimming the gold is decided in such a way that one needs a super slowmotion video of the finish to really see who won. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 4 Stunden schrieb phelps:

still too much Orange on the podium for my taste...:facepalm:

but, being serious for a (short) while, chapeau! to Van Rouwendaal...she's really the no.1 open water swimmer in the world right now...:bowdown:

very happy about Gabrielleschi's result, since she's still learning how to play this game (she only started last year to swim outside the pool)...she definitely couldn't do anything more than she actually did today...

and decent result also by Bruni...she was still tired from yesterday (she doen't have the same body as the Dutch super-girl) and she was also really annoyed by the water temperature and the full heavy bodysuit...

in Tokyo (but also at the next Worlds in Korea) we're gonna see something different for sure (but Van Rowendaal will be still on top, I fear)...

I also think that Van Rouwendaal will win gold, although maybe someone like Köhler migth be a serious danger to her, but i dont think that Weertman will win gold.

I am sure everyone was annoyed by the water temperature and the full bodysuit + Sharon won the 5 k yesterday, it is clear that she is miles ahead of everyone else here.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 ore fa, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

I also think that Van Rouwendaal will win gold, although maybe someone like Köhler migth be a serious danger to her, but i dont think that Weertman will win gold.

I am sure everyone was annoyed by the water temperature and the full bodysuit + Sharon won the 5 k yesterday, it is clear that she is miles ahead of everyone else here.

sure, but there are athletes who can cope with that a lot better than average and others that are more penalized by that (Bruni, for instance, is one of those, since she's a lot lighter than her main rivals -and normally the heavier you are, the more you get some help by the full bodysuit used in cold water conditions)...

for what concerns the Tokyo race, at the moment Van Rouwendaal is the main favourite, no doubt about that...but we still have a couple of years to go, so there's always the option to find a newcomer to open water swimming that could upset her...

we can only wait and see...

Edited by phelps

22 minutes ago, phelps said:

sure, but there are athletes who can cope with that a lot better than average and others that are more penalized by that (Bruni, for instance, is one of those, since she's a lot lighter than her main rivals -and normally the heavier you are, the more you get some help by the full bodysuit used in cold water conditions)...

for what concerns the Tokyo race, at the moment Van Rouwendaal is the main favourite, no doubt about that...but we still have a couple of years to go, so there's always the option to find a newcomer to open water swimming that could upset her...

we can only wait and see...

Like Esmee Vermeulen who has barely made the move to open water and already took bronze today :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minuti fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Like Esmee Vermeulen who has barely made the move to open water and already took bronze today :d 

she's one of them, but potentially there are a lot more of those average pool swimmers in the long distances that could make the same move...in many Countries...;)

p.s. Gabbrielleschi is one of those...she's only at her second year outside the lanes...and today she was better than Vermeulen...:whistle:

p.p.s. in any case, I think Van Rouwendaal's worst enemy in Tokyo (and in Korea) will be the water temperature...it will be extremely high, I fear (and SVR could have some troubles because of that...at least, more than some of her main rivals, especially the Italian and Brazilian girls, who normally love the hot water)...

Weertman outsprinting the German :bowdown:

Mixed 5km Team Relay:

1. Netherlands  :NED  (Vermeulen/Van Rouwendaal/Smits/Weertman) 52:35.0

2. Germany :GER  (Beck/Koehler/Meissner/Wellbrock) 52:35.6

3. France :FRA  (Grangeon/Aubry/Pou/Olivier) 52:46.7