website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

Sindo

16 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Maybe there were a lack of "olympic atosphere" but again considering the circumstances the organizers made quite great job. Chapeau bas to China for this.

That much is true. But what killed it for me (well not really, when sport is on; it's on regardless of anything else), is that it comes right after the no-spectators Tokyo 2020 and Pyeongchang 2018 which allready lacked any 'real' winter olympics atmosphere. And, we could also think back to Rio which was not so great in that regard.

I think, we all need the 2024/2026 Games to come out with a bang, to relive this inner olympic flame.

On 2/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, Dunadan said:

Have the commentators always received the speech "printed out" beforehand? I only noticed this time- opening and closing- because, having no clue about the language, they finish translating well before the end of the speech by the Chinese guy.

I can tell you that in the stadium, the speech is up on the screen in English, French and Chinese as he's talking, so it has obviously been submitted beforehand.  

I was able to attend the Closing Ceremonies.  The goodie bag given to us was noticeable less exciting (no branded hats, mitts, etc.).  This was only a concern because there was nothing for sale at either Ceremony or the hockey game I went to.  All stores in town are virtually sold out for months now, too.  You have to wonder what would have happened if millions of people were here like what was supposed to happen.  I don't want to be negative, because this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, but it's like the organizers went out of their way to suck any spirit out of these Olympics, although the volunteers were incredibly nice and helpful.  I'll tell more stories later.  For now, here are some pictures!  

692743659.jpg1835943214.jpg