website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

Sindo

Simply an amazing and unexpected experience.  I was put on the list over 2 months ago, but I was so afraid to say anything to anyone because in these times, and living in China especially, things can change so fast.  Our group got purged so much over the weeks to leave only a few out of dozens, and I'm so grateful I was left at the end.  I truly never expected going to an Olympic Ceremony in my life.  It makes not being able to leave the city (never mind the country!) for so long worth it.  

Right now I'm on the list for some other stuff, but again I'm too scared to get into too much detail, haha.  Don't want to jinx it.  I didn't tell anyone except one family member about this until the night before.  Let me tell you, my phone has been blowing up ever since.  

I want to say, the whole process was smooth and efficient (surprising since we're dealing two of the biggest bureaucracies in the world!).  Everyone in the group that got us there was incredibly helpful and friendly, and then last night the volunteers were amazing and so full of energy.  One basic security check, and then not much else.  I cannot believe how smooth everything was.  

We were told very strict rules about what to wear, and what we couldn't bring but in the end none of that really held true.  I was so spare with my phone because they told us no battery packs, but it turned out it was fine.  We were told no flags or national symbols, but I wore my Canada gear and flags with pride.  It was really cold, though, which we were definitely prepared for.  

The parade of nations was, as always, a highlight.  Various sections and rows going nuts for their countries.  I spared no embarrassment screaming for the Canadians.  Everything else seemed really fast.  It was 2.5 hours, but felt shorter.  It also felt more grand, but yet "smaller" in the stadium.  I mean, we had awesome seats pretty much below Xi and Bach so we were pretty much surface level and felt almost part of the show.  We were also every other seat due to covid, which was awesome to have that extra room.  Saying it was "small" is not an insult, I mean I felt part of it rather than watching it.  

Overall, amazing.  What else is there to say?  I know it was scaled back due to Covid, but without Covid I wouldn't have ever been there.  I'm still processing it, and I'm glad I can share it with everyone interested here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Mouat :GBR, Men's curling silver medallist and skip is our closing ceremony flagbearer.

Also: 1976-counter: 1

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold