website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2021 - 2022

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

The challenge is that Relays are head to head and thus better viewing for TV.  

on paper...but the truth is that most relays are already over well before having a true head to head in the final leg...

however...I added a possible schedule's scheme in the previous post...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

imho, the best solution would be completely abandon the relays in the world cup stages...

Or even better: abandon the pursuits, which are incredibly 'fake' races to begin with and shouldn't even really exist other than in show events.

It already sucks that cross-country barely has any relay at all, biathlon definitely should stay above that and keep team events as an integral part of the sport.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

-I like the relays though they are a bit long but as long as it's interesting it's fine. 

- Watching winter sports for the first time and you'll be like how on earth is pursuit a olympic/ world championships event? I mean how unfair that your position(or medal)  in a event depends on your performance in another event. Cycling and speed skating pursuits are fine in that case. 

A fair event is one where all participants/teams have an equal chance of winning before start of the event irrespective of past performances.

So a pursuit is not a fair event all in that case. 

Also @RobtheAggie Norwegian team didn't complain about Men's Relay being before the pursuit in Oestersund . Why? 

-Coz they won both the titles back then. 

And why they are complaining now?

-They can't win the relay if one of Roiseland/Eckoff don't take part . Its not like last year where both of them can ski fast on all events. So anyhow they were going to sacrifice something. 

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

-I like the relays though they are a bit long but as long as it's interesting it's fine. 

- Watching winter sports for the first time and you'll be like how on earth is pursuit a olympic/ world championships event? I mean how unfair that your position(or medal)  in a event depends on your performance in another event(sprint)  Cycling and speed skating pursuits are fine in that case. 

A fair event is one where all participants/teams have an equal chance of winning before start of the event irrespective of past performances.

So a pursuit is not a fair event all in that case. 

Also @RobtheAggie Norwegian team didn't complain about Men's Relay being before the pursuit in Oestersund . Why? 

-Coz they won both the titles back then. 

And why they are complaining now?

-They can't win the relay if one of Roiseland/Eckoff don't take part .

@Fly_like_a_don I agree, I thought the same thing.  The men's team is so strong, that they can rotate.  The funny thing, for the nations who only have 4 starters or even 3, the squad rotation is not even possible.  It kind of makes the Norwegian team seem like a spoiled rich kid.

Individual and relay are the main biathlon events imo... And therefore should get maximum exposure. Sprint is just a "TV-friendly" individual, while pursuit seemed to have been a stepping stone in the creation of the mass start. It serves no purpose anymore and should be removed from every non-exhibition event.

Also, wouldn't it be nice if the Olympics only (due to a limited number of qualifiers), had a mass start with 85 starters? :d A special range would be needed, but so be it.

#banbestmen