website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

'Richer' nations have an 'unfair' advantage anyway, because for example GBR will be able to invest huge amounts of money in sport X, whereas let's say Kosovo or Albania can't. Athletes who are born outside the country don't make that much of a difference in that (and then again, one question wasn't answered yet: if they're not 'fair' to compete, is it ok for their children to compete? Or is that still not fair? And their grandchildren?). 

So at the end it all comes down to money, rich countries will always scoop the big talent and then find excuses to justify their actions. That's why I support IAAF's decision to come hard down on buying the nationality because you can afford to.

1 minutę temu, heywoodu napisał:

'Richer' nations have an 'unfair' advantage anyway, because for example GBR will be able to invest huge amounts of money in sport X, whereas let's say Kosovo or Albania can't. Athletes who are born outside the country don't make that much of a difference in that (and then again, one question wasn't answered yet: if they're not 'fair' to compete, is it ok for their children to compete? Or is that still not fair? And their grandchildren?). 

advantage doubles the advantage :), but...maybe...those developed countries can develop their own athletes ;), yeees, it`s more difficultbut maybe....more "fair" ;). Those Kenyans etc...well...if they don`t make a Kenyan team.....shit happens ;)

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

Just now, Monzanator said:

So at the end it all comes down to money, rich countries will always scoop the big talent and then find excuses to justify their actions. That's why I support IAAF's decision to come hard down on buying the nationality because you can afford to.

There should indeed be limits to the switching of nationality. That of course does not 'avoid' athletes like Salpeter, Hassan, Crippa or Abraham (which is not a problem, there's nothing wrong with athletes like that), but it does avoid athletes being bought purely by a country they most likely won't ever have any connection with (like Turkey, Bahrain, Qatar). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Pavlo said:

me? are you serious? really? maybe drink a glass of water

He's not quoting you mate :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I wonder if for example Totallympics.co.nz would get all riled up if Susan Krumins-Kuijken decided to compete for Australia - the country of her husband - in Oceanian championships.

Honestly, it's the colonial empires that mostly "profit" from non-European born athletes. Whether it's current or former colonies. Also rich countries, so in a sense the rich get richer. That's the trend.

I don't think there's an objective way to Iook at it, so discussions are kind of pointless... :p

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Honestly, it's the colonial empires that mostly "profit" from non-European born athletes. Whether it's current or former colonies. Also rich countries, so in a sense the rich get richer. That's the trend.

I don't think there's an objective way to Iook at it, so discussions are kind of pointless... :p

But how is all that a point of discussion, while for example the huge amounts of money being pumped in certain sports by certain countries (giving them a way bigger advantage) is much less so? :p 

I would say that's more unfair. 

1 minute ago, LDOG said:

Not the same sport but isn't Poland desperate for Wilfredo León in volleyball?? Everyone in europe has a case these days.

Just a couple of years ago a few experts said Polish NT doesn't need Leon :lol:

Obviously Cuba has suffered from deserting athletes for years - again as result of communism - we know that story since Poland has lost numerous talents who fled to Western countries over the years before.