website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Official Countdown Thread

10 hours ago, bmo said:

I think the Olympics will only take place if they develop a vaccine for COVID. I don’t know the timetable for that though

I hope they are not so "stupid" to pretend an effective vaccine is made worldwide available by next year...

to me, the point is just looking at how the pandemic develops in the next northern emisphere winter...if there are no major cases all around or if we just find an effective medicine rather than a vaccine, why to waste all that was built?

as extreme measures, I only see some restrictions to foreign visitors (of course they should be refunded in full, if they lose the chance to travel to JPN), reselling tickets within the local residents only (with heavy price drop, if needed) and a 4-week quarantine for athletes and officials before the beginning of the Games...

actually, imho, under these conditions, they could even hold the Games tomorrow...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, rybak said:

200 days (and few hours) left to the start the Games (I doubt that under current situation in the world and Japan especially the event will happen, but still...):cheer:

The current situation is what matters.  What will matter is the situation come July.  Beyond just the fate of the Olympics, for the sake of the world let's hope it starts to get better sooner rather than later.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll have an Olympics, somehow some what.  Too much political capital on the line for the country and the city to let it fail again