website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Official Countdown Thread

On 03/12/2019 at 23:55, hckosice said:

Why have I now the feeling that NBC can finally show only the last 5 minutes of the parade of nations, wasn´t it always the goal ?

Not at all.  They'll show the whole thing (minus commercials, although they're good at recapping the countries they miss.. last Olympics, they actually used tape delay to their advantage to not skip over countries).  Interest tends to drop off after the United States enters the stadium, so they'll get people watching from the start and keep them around until the end.

On 04/12/2019 at 00:06, Olympian1010 said:

I’d be fine if NBC didn’t show the Parade of Nations. That’s when I take my nap. Wake me up when Bach starts to ramble on.

The Parade of Nations at a Summer Olympics is half of the Opening Ceremony.  What exactly would they fill that time with?

You're the opposite of most viewers.  They want to see the Americans and will lose interest when they get to the speeches, particularly if those speeches are not in English.  So NBC is in a tough spot where the primetime show may or may not include the entire ceremony knowing certain portions will see people tune out (knowing the resulting backlash is coming)

Fortunately, there will be Peacock to stream the Ceremonies live, so those (presumably) will be shown in full.  Plan your nap accordingly :cool:

20 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Not at all.  They'll show the whole thing (minus commercials, although they're good at recapping the countries they miss.. last Olympics, they actually used tape delay to their advantage to not skip over countries).  Interest tends to drop off after the United States enters the stadium, so they'll get people watching from the start and keep them around until the end.

The Parade of Nations at a Summer Olympics is half of the Opening Ceremony.  What exactly would they fill that time with?

You're the opposite of most viewers.  They want to see the Americans and will lose interest when they get to the speeches, particularly if those speeches are not in English.  So NBC is in a tough spot where the primetime show may or may not include the entire ceremony knowing certain portions will see people tune out (knowing the resulting backlash is coming)

Fortunately, there will be Peacock to stream the Ceremonies live, so those (presumably) will be shown in full.  Plan your nap accordingly :cool:

The Parade of National just drags on too much for me. It should absolutely be in the ceremony, I just don’t think it should be 1 1/2 to 2 hours long!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2020 at 18:10, Olympian1010 said:

The Parade of National just drags on too much for me. It should absolutely be in the ceremony, I just don’t think it should be 1 1/2 to 2 hours long!

Limit the number of participating nations to like 40 and you will get your wish :lol:

2 hours ago, dcro said:

So... What do we do here?

Wait for the dates, which are expected within a few weeks? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 months later...

well, today it would have been officially the -2 day, but in practice we could have watched the first Olympic events (Softball and women's Football) of the Tokyo 2020 Games...

instead, it's only -367 officially (-365 in practice, that's what really counts to me)...:nopompom:

I feel so sad...my heart is broken...I can't even watch old Olympic pictures as usual without a river of tears coming off my eyes, going down my cheeks...:cry: :cry: :cry:

Days -2 & -1 are always important days because

1. New graphics to discuss
  2. Vital early practice with TV & other remote controls.  Not getting those split-second moves nailed down early can mean missed gold medals in Week 1!
  3. Chance to watch & discuss team sports you won’t have time to watch later

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, today it would have been officially the -2 day, but in practice we could have watched the first Olympic events (Softball and women's Football) of the Tokyo 2020 Games...

instead, it's only -367 officially (-365 in practice, that's what really counts to me)...:nopompom:

I feel so sad...my heart is broken...I can't even watch old Olympic pictures as usual without a river of tears coming off my eyes, going down my cheeks...:cry: :cry: :cry:

Although I am very sad about the Olympics being postponed and that we would have been getting super hyped up by this point, the main emotion for me is worrying about the fact that the Games may not even go ahead at all next year. It will be really depressing if they are cancelled altogether and we have to wait until 2024. But even sadder for the athletes who will miss the chance to fulfil their lifelong dreams.

I am still optimistic that won't happen but definitely as the months pass by I will get more anxious.

The prospects for an opening ceremony for Tokyo2020 on 7/23/21 are unclear. Do you view the stadium as half full or half empty? I see it as half full, and believe the Tokyo Olympics will take place. Here is why I believe - in three film clips.

https://theolympians.co/2020/07/23/one-year-to-go-redux-why-i-believe-tokyo2020-will-happen-in-three-scenes/

23 minutes ago, Roy Tomizawa said:

The prospects for an opening ceremony for Tokyo2020 on 7/23/21 are unclear. Do you view the stadium as half full or half empty? I see it as half full, and believe the Tokyo Olympics will take place. Here is why I believe - in three film clips.

https://theolympians.co/2020/07/23/one-year-to-go-redux-why-i-believe-tokyo2020-will-happen-in-three-scenes/

I think the Olympics will only take place if they develop a vaccine for COVID. I don’t know the timetable for that though