website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2021

:USA UNITED STATES :USA 

Now this selection isn't much different from other selections (aka Matt and I had songs in consideration), but this is the first time I had an artist in mind throughout our rather short selection window. Nonetheless, she made her appearance at the 2018 Open contest in Orlando, and I thought it was time for her to take center stage. So without further ado, from Milton, Pennsylvania, here is our 2021 open entrant Vanessa Carlton with "Ordinary Day"

14 hours ago, rybak said:

I believe that most of you are aware about this but still I will say that: 46 hours left to select the entry @Laraja @LuizGuilherme @titicow @intoronto @dcro @Benolympique @Bohemia @EupenM @maestro @Makedonas @Ted @Yannakis @Fly_like_a_don @Dnl (are you going to be as me earlier the year to be last one to publish song? :p) @Ruslan @Glen @heywoodu @Wanderer @justony @dezbee2008 @Olympian1010 

and to enter @Hipooo @catgamer @Skijumpingmaster @AustralianFan @KingOfTheRhinos @DaniSRB @Dunadan @Tigercub @tigersay @amen09 @tuniscof @NaBUru38 @Pabloffo @sami-eg @MHSN @Finnator123 @stefanbg @stepansevs @Topicmaster1010

Maybe :whistle: working on some things to post here and it’s Taking some time 

17 hours ago, heywoodu said:

:NED Drs. P - Dodenrit :NED 

I thought, let's go with something different for a change: an actual Dutch-language song instead of just the big English-language hits from Dutch artists. He was born Heinz Hermann Polzer, in Switzerland, with a Dutch mother and Austrian father. He has always retained his Swiss nationality and never requested the Dutch one, as a token of gratitude towards Switzerland: during World War 2, they saved him from captivity twice, after he was detained for offending Hitler and Mussolini. The second time, the Swiss nearly literally dragged him away the firing squad. He had been living in the Netherlands since childhood though, before the war, and grew into a true master of the Dutch language - in his life, he has received countless prizes for his contributions to the language, literature and all things related to his songwriting. The 'Drs.' in his artist's name is actually not made up, he had a doctorate in economics.

His most famous song in the Netherlands is Dodenrit, 'Death Ride'. It's told from the perspective of a man traveling with his family to the Russian city of Omsk, by troyka/troika/Russian horse carriage. However, the ride takes a bit of a dark turn, which is told in a humorous way in the song. The full text can be found here...translated in English! Sure, some of the things that rhyme in Dutch are not a perfect fit of course, but whoever translated it tried to make sure the English version did fit exactly into the melody, which is quite the performance. And generally speaking, the translation is absolutely excellent.

If you aim for the win you should have entered something pro-Irish/Celtic!

3 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

If you aim for the win you should have entered something pro-Irish/Celtic!

I'm not aiming for the win, I merely wanted to share one of my favourite Dutch songs :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm not aiming for the win, I merely wanted to share one of my favourite Dutch songs :d 

After you win once, you never aim for the win, unless you're Ireland :lol:

Though Canada and Great Britain have two wins each as well, but they are also a primarily (bcuz Canada French too) English speaking country, so the tendencies lie with pro-English.