website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2021

:SWE SWEDEN :SWE

AVICII - WAKE ME UP

AVICII is born in Stockholm, Sweden on 8 September 1989 as TIM BERGLING. 

He is Sweden’s biggest DJ, remixer, record producer, musician and songwriter since 2006. 

He has several hit songs like Levels, Wake Me Up and Hey Brother. 

He had difficultly with his mental health and sadly he passed away on 20 April 2018 in Muscat, Oman. 

He committed suicide using a glass shard to cut himself. 

Sweden and I were so saddened by his tragic death. 

Now I want to honour him and his fantastic music work by selecting him and Wake Me Up as Sweden’s entry to TOISC 2021. 

Let’s remember there are much work  behind the music and the artists are humans like we are. They are no superheroes. They have difficulties to fight like us. 

You will be never forgotten Avicii.

RIP!! :(

LYRICS

If you like watching movies there's a good chance that you have already heard a song performed by the Hungarian artists who will represent my country in this year's contest. Their songs were featured in movies such as the Best Picture winning The English Patient, Isao Takahata's masterpiece Only Yesterday (seriously, watch this anime if like other, more well known Studio Ghibli features) and Costa-Gavras' Music Box.

Muzsikás has been with us for almost half a century now, they established the group in 1973 and since then their mission was to keep Hungarian folk music alive and bring it to more people. Looking at the international movies that I mentioned earlier and at how they made some folk songs popular in Hungary (just this year one of those songs got a new cover version by a famous Hungarian singer), I think you can say that they achieved what they set out to do almost 50 years ago. 

So please enjoy their rendition of "Repülj madár, repülj", a Hungarian folk song from Székely Land, which was recorded in 1986. It's a collaboration between them and the wonderful Márta Sebestyén, one of the most beloved Hungarian folk singers of the last few decades. 

:HUN HUNGARY :HUN 

Muzsikás & Márta Sebestyén - Repülj madár, repülj

Lyrics in English

Spoiler

Fly, Bird, Fly

Fly, bird, fly

Fly to Menaság

Sit on the shoulder

Of my sweetheart

Take my letter, bird,

And carry it

To my father and mother

And to my promised spouse

If they ask you how I am

Tell them I am a prisoner

In the prison of love

I'm knee deep in iron

You are a prisoner, my rose

I am ill

When you come to me

I will be healed

Fly, bird, fly

Fly to Menaság

Sit on the shoulder

Of my sweetheart

If they ask you how I am

Tell them I am a prisoner

In the prison of love

I'm knee deep in iron

@Dnl

I have a Question:

Wake Me Up is Avicii’s song and he is the official artist for the song. 

But it seems it’s not his vocals. Is it ok or do I need to change entry for Sweden? 

the vocals are by an American Singer. 

I really want this for Sweden. 

10 hours ago, Belle said:

@Dnl

I have a Question:

Wake Me Up is Avicii’s song and he is the official artist for the song. 

But it seems it’s not his vocals. Is it ok or do I need to change entry for Sweden? 

the vocals are by an American Singer. 

I really want this for Sweden. 

Yes this song is fine to represent Sweden. It certainly qualifies by the 50% rule and Avicii produced the song and it is very much associated with him so it is more than fine :) 

What about Greece? Since I'm relatively new to Totallympics, I'm clueless as to what we have to do to participate in the contest. Can we choose to nominate any Greek song we really like, regardless of whether it's old or recent?