website statistics

Figure Skating ISU Challenger Series 2021 - 2022 (Nebelhorn Trophy)

Totallympics

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Still not a fan of the team event even with Georgia on board. :p The outcome is too predictable and the competition system is nuts. Basically game over after the short program.

Exactly.

I'm thrilled for :CZE & :GEO competing, but for me is one of those events that doesn't anything new to the program, and due to it being held before the individual/pairs events, the smaller teams risk losing their athletes due to an injury.

Plus, this is one where the final five will be the same for the next Olympic cycles, so cut this crap from the program and bring a new sport/discipline to the games.

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Only 10 nations have enough quotas to be eligible for the team event, so we already know which are qualified regardless of rankings.

:ROC :USA :CAN :JPN :ITA :CHN :GEO :CZE :GER :UKR

Debuts for Georgia and Czech Republic (!). No France for the first time.   

Ukraine in team event? WHAAAAAT

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Still not a fan of the team event even with Georgia on board. :p The outcome is too predictable and the competition system is nuts. Basically game over after the short program.

I love that there is a team event for figure skating, but the format is terrible.

21 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Exactly.

I'm thrilled for :CZE & :GEO competing, but for me is one of those events that doesn't anything new to the program, and due to it being held before the individual/pairs events, the smaller teams risk losing their athletes due to an injury.

Plus, this is one where the final five will be the same for the next Olympic cycles, so cut this crap from the program and bring a new sport/discipline to the games.

Replace it with what? The figure skating team event had five quotas spots assigned to it (and those are shared with the host nation quotas). The only thing cutting this event would give is more ice time.

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

Replace it with what? The figure skating team event had five quotas spots assigned to it (and those are shared with the host nation quotas). The only thing cutting this event would give is more ice time.

What about Women's Nordic combined without cuting men's places?

And yes, I'd like the athletes to have some rest, and maybe use that mixed curling preliminary rounds.

32 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

And yes, I'd like the athletes to have some rest, and maybe use that mixed curling preliminary rounds.

Team event barely adds quotas to the program. If the IOC Is going to add a women's Nordic combined event (20 or so athletes) the cuts will have to come from elsewhere.

18 hours ago, intoronto said:

Team event barely adds quotas to the program. If the IOC Is going to add a women's Nordic combined event (20 or so athletes) the cuts will have to come from elsewhere.

This is not true, the team events do not necessarily add quota sport program, the qualifications of team events are based on the individual results. 

2 hours ago, seb851 said:

This is not true, the team events do not necessarily add quota sport program, the qualifications of team events are based on the individual results. 

Well your statement is false. The team event added 4 quotas to allow for 3 countries to compete. If the FIS is looking to add women's nordic combined, the cuts will have to come from FIS events

On 9/26/2021 at 12:50 AM, mrv86 said:

That is incredibly likely to be added at some point, but surprisingly they seem to actually take some time to let women's Nordic combined be worthy of being added. It definitely will be, it has been growing fairly rapidly the past few years, but it's still too 'young' right now. Give it a few years of actually having an established World Cup circuit and it'll be fine and added no doubt.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!