website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

49 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Thank God no water polo shit in the predictions next year :lol:  Rowing & BMX? Blah! :nopompom:

I made a mistake in the list. Men's and Women's European Water Polo Championships is in January. I had written handball twice. :p

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Thank God no water polo shit in the predictions next year :lol:  Rowing & BMX? Blah! :nopompom:

On the other hand, I was today at the waterpolo game and even talked with our NT's coach for a while (he is also the head coach of the team who was an away team today in my city).

@Wumo Two things. 1) I know you said you’d like to do one contest a month, but what If we have an event like the luge world championships that only last two days, and is relatively easy manage. Could we also do a second event that month then? 2) How do you propose to prevent us from always choosing the same events. I love Biathlon, but I’d prefer if that wasn’t our February contest every year (because that will be what will happen).

Also, myself and @Vojthas are always down to promote contests, and help out the best we can. So if you ever need us, you know where we dwell. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Wumo Two things. 1) I know you said you’d like to do one contest a month, but what If we have an event like the luge world championships that only last two days, and is relatively easy manage. Could we also do a second event that month then? 2) How do you propose to prevent us from always choosing the same events. I love Biathlon, but I’d prefer if that wasn’t our February contest every year (because that will be what will happen).

Also, myself and @Vojthas are always down to promote contests, and help out the best we can. So if you ever need us, you know where we dwell. 

To answer your questions:

1) As I wrote in the post, the normal process is one contest per month. But if me, or any other member in the Prediction Group, have the time to run a second contest that month then it would be great. The one contest per month rule is there because at the moment the Prediction Group only consist of me and Wanderer. Wanderer will not have so much time next year and I feel I can only promise the users here on Totallympics that I will be able to run one contest per month for the next year. I can't promise I will be able to run two every month or three in some. I think it's important we update the provisional standing every time a day has been completed in that event. The participants will have a much better chance to follow where they are placed in the contest and we in the Prediction Group hope this will encourage more participants to post predictions through the whole contest. We prefer to have one contest where we are able to post updates from it every match/competition day, instead of two or three contests where we forget or don't have the time to update every match/competition day. Quality over quantity. 

2) We basically already choose the same event every year. With your biathlon example, your assumption is likely correct. As many users here on the forum have a great passion for biathlon, they would much likely choose the WCH Biathlon every year. The contest would have many participants which I think is a good thing. Most likely, a prediction contest for the Nordic Ski WCH will also receive many votes. In that case, the Prediction Group will do its best to have a prediction contest for it if the users on Totallympics show great interest for one. 

To sum up. In the current situation, we, me and Wanderer, feel we can deliver high quality prediction contests if we stick to one contest per month. This is what is possible in our lives at the moment. If the Prediction Group get more members who are willing to run contests on their own, we will likely have more prediction contests. Of course me and Wanderer will try our best to help a new manager. 

I hope you understand my points and why we in the Prediction Group choose to do so in the current situation. We also thank for any help you and Vojtas can provide.