website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

Just now, George_D said:

Djokovic didnt loose the game but DSQ. That is a special occasion. I think the best for all would be that this outcome dont to be count for the prediction. No points for all

Also i agree it would be better not to allow edits from this stage and on (even if i lost many game results today)

Loss by DQ is still a loss just like in boxing. This is a fixed draw, even if you discount Djokovic vs Carreno Busta I have a funky feeling zero people picked CB to win so everyone gets zero points anyway. Allowing edits in the middle of the game is downright unfair just to make up for the favorite having the nerve NOT to win an event. I don't recall edits being allowed when Bolt got injured in the World Champs and the Jamaican relay didn't win a medal everyone thought they would?

It's written above that predictions starting from R16 could be made round by round, it's not "allowing edits because the favourite lost". And I don't see any difference between editing a post round by round and making a new post for quarterfinals, then another one for semifinals and another one for the final like it was done before.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Loss by DQ is still a loss just like in boxing. This is a fixed draw, even if you discount Djokovic vs Carreno Busta I have a funky feeling zero people picked CB to win so everyone gets zero points anyway. Allowing edits in the middle of the game is downright unfair just to make up for the favorite having the nerve NOT to win an event. I don't recall edits being allowed when Bolt got injured in the World Champs and the Jamaican relay didn't win a medal everyone thought they would?

ok then how points should be awarded for those playes Busta to win by 3-0 or 3-1 or 3-2?? Which of these is the perfect prediction?

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This makes no sense? I realize Djokovic was the run away favorite to win USO but since when every #1 favorite has to win all the Prediction game?

I'm totally against allowing edits just because the favorites doesn't win :wacko:

What's the point of these prediction games anyway? I don't recall edits being allowed when Germany went out in group stage of the last World Cup?

https://totallympics.com/topic/4278-prediction-contest-tennis-atpwta-us-open-2020/ posted August 28th

Rounds of 16 to Finals Rules

For the Rounds of 16 to Finals, predictors will predict the outcome of each match in these rounds of the Men's and Women's Single's Tournaments before the start of the first match in each rounds. Edits will be allowed! These will be allowed between the completion of the last match of the previous round + After the provisional standing has been updated with these results. However further edits can be allowed. These will be announced in the Prediction Contests Discussion Thread

Scoring Format (Rounds of 16 to Finals):

- Correct Winner + Correct Set Score - 5 points

- Correct Winner + Wrong Set Score - 3 point

- Wrong Winner - 0 points

I can completely understand if you disagree with this rule about edits being allowed. This season I'm trying/testing out new elements in the prediction contests as this season has been a bit unsual. Some of these elements will maybe stay for the new season and some will disappear again.

Also, I don't recall contestants had to predict all knouckout stage matches in 2018 Football World Cup before any of them had started? Maybe you did predict all the Round of 16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Bronze Medal Match and Final before the start of the knouckout rounds. 

I also remembered last year in the WTA Finals, contestants predicted the Group Stage, Semifinals and Final seperately with new predictions between rounds. 

I could have used the same format like we use in the team sports prediction contests where new predictions are allowed between rounds. Contestants could still as easily edit their posts and cheat in that format also.

12 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

It's written above that predictions starting from R16 could be made round by round, it's not "allowing edits because the favourite lost". And I don't see any difference between editing a post round by round and making a new post for quarterfinals, then another one for semifinals and another one for the final like it was done before.

Then post fresh sections every second day for each round like in the Champions League/UEFA League competition.

If you post the entire draw and allow in-competition edits it's simply unfair IMO.

In future games I'll have to ask if edits will be allowed and if they indeed are then I'll just won't take part since I don't like this concept at all. There's no fun in  finding excuses to allow edits just because some big name went out. Just a horrible idea all around @Wumo

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There's no fun in  finding excuses to allow edits just because some big name went out. Just a horrible idea all around @Wumo

Again, it was written before Djokovic went out.

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

In future games I'll have to ask if edits will be allowed

or you can learn to read the rules set by the organizer.

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I'll just won't take part since I don't like this concept at all

but first make sure to write I'LL LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I'M NOT TAKING PART ten times and in full caps so everyone will notice it.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Then post fresh sections every second day for each round like in the Champions League/UEFA League competition.

If you post the entire draw and allow in-competition edits it's simply unfair IMO.

In future games I'll have to ask if edits will be allowed and if they indeed are then I'll just won't take part since I don't like this concept at all. There's no fun in  finding excuses to allow edits just because some big name went out. Just a horrible idea all around @Wumo

I'm sorry to hear you feel you won't participate if in-competion edits are allowed. I'm just curious to know why you see a difference between this format and the usual format in most other prediction contests. You have addressed the issue about cheating before, and I can understand that, but user have always had the option to edit their posts and cheat if they wanted to. If I posted 8 matches in the format like the Champions League competition and all matches were played at the same time, users could still go back and edit their post to "improve" their score before I was able to post an updated standing. 

I tried my best to make this clear in the rules section. I'm not trying to scare off people from participating because of some changes. You always participate in every single prediction contest which I really appreciate as that make the time and effort in put these contests feel appreciated. 

As I wrote earlier, I test out new elements this season. I would like to hear from all you when we come to the end of the year if you liked some of these new elements or disliked them.

2 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I'm sorry to hear you feel you won't participate if in-competion edits are allowed. I'm just curious to know why you see a difference between this format and the usual format in most other prediction contests. You have addressed the issue about cheating before, and I can understand that, but user have always had the option to edit their posts and cheat if they wanted to. If I posted 8 matches in the format like the Champions League competition and all matches were played at the same time, users could still go back and edit their post to "improve" their score before I was able to post an updated standing. 

I tried my best to make this clear in the rules section. I'm not trying to scare off people from participating because of some changes. You always participate in every single prediction contest which I really appreciate as that make the time and effort in put these contests feel appreciated. 

As I wrote earlier, I test out new elements this season. I would like to hear from all you when we come to the end of the year if you liked some of these new elements or disliked them.

Yeah, I made my point on cheating before. I think there should be only one deadline when the event actually starts (like in Athletics championships). Obviously in team events there is the round robin and knockout phase. Grand Slam tennis draws are huge and it must have taken a lot of time to complete the sheets but maybe doing both WTA and ATP proved too much for one person. This is a special year but the Predictions Contests were fun and didn't have to be altered with anything new. You don't need to fix something that isn't broken.

It bugs me since tennis is one of my favorite sports and I've been taking part in predictions sports I'm not an expert like waterpolo and never thought of losing fun but in-competition edits takes away all the fun for me. There were people who said they refused to take part is USO predictions based on the huge draws. I wonder if Roland Garros will be done in Predictions too?

@Wumo Another question for you.

If I decide to change only one or two names in the Classification prediction, Will I lose the points for the other guy?

For example

General Classification, If I change the third place only and at the end of competition I get all the places correct, I'm going to earn 24, 22 and 12 points?