website statistics

[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Most users on this forum are European after all and European Championships are the most important continental championships in the world whether you like it or not :p

First off, there’s an active and large minority of non-European users on the forum. Second, the European Championships aren’t the most competitive continental championships across the board as @Vojthas pointed out.

I do believe that there’s more European users on the forum, but the bias towards European events is annoying. I know I’m not the only person that has complained about this issue in this thread. Like I said, I’m fine doing one European Championship a year, but it seems fair to do a Asian, African, or Pan American Championship as well. One could argue that European users have an unfair advantage in European Championship prediction contests, since they have more likely than not followed those championships much longer, and more closely, than non-European users.

Honestly, I just want a little more variety of these prediction contests. We seem to vote for and do the same events every year. It would be nice to throw in something like Floorball, Lacrosse, Women’s Baseball, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. every once in a while just to mix things up a little.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

First off, there’s an active and large minority of non-European users on the forum. Second, the European Championships aren’t the most competitive continental championships across the board as @Vojthas pointed out.

I do believe that there’s more European users on the forum, but the bias towards European events is annoying. I know I’m not the only person that has complained about this issue in this thread. Like I said, I’m fine doing one European Championship a year, but it seems fair to do a Asian, African, or Pan American Championship as well. One could argue that European users have an unfair advantage in European Championship prediction contests, since they have more likely than not followed those championships much longer, and more closely, than non-European users.

Honestly, I just want a little more variety of these prediction contests. We seem to vote for and do the same events every year. It would be nice to throw in something like Floorball, Lacrosse, Women’s Baseball, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. every once in a while just to mix things up a little.

I remember explaining that long ago. But they'll still point out the level of competition and all that and continue with ECh.

Though Badminton and cricket is definitely a newer entry into the contest though they may get postponed but well the non followers can do their bit of work if the event is held and prediction goes ahead. 

What European Championships? There are barely any included to begin with.. 2019 had a big fat ZERO of them. And when there are, it's like 1-3 out of 20+ contests a year. As a matter of fact, based on sporting merit and interest they are highly underrepresented, but i guess in 2020 everyone has to complain about everything..

On 23/06/2020 at 13:40, Wumo said:

Hey Totallympians

As more and more sport starts again after a long break due to the Corona-pandemic, I could be interested in hearing which events you might want to see as prediction contests?

Here are some suggestions for prediction contests on top of my head:

- Cycling - Tour de France 

- Cycling - Road Cycling WCH

- Tennis - US Open or Roland Garros, maybe both

- Table Tennis - World Team Table Tennis Championships

- Badminton - Thomas & Uber Cup

- Cycling - Giro d'Italia or Vuelta España

- Cricket - Men's T20 World Cup

- Tennis - WTA Finals

- Baseball - Women's Baseball World Cup

- Handball - European Women's Handball Championship

Maybe:

- Tennis - ATP Finals, if it's going to be held

- Floorball - Men's World Floorball Championships

What do you think about these suggestions? Feel free to come with other suggestions.

That's all from me,

Totallympics' Prediction Contest Manager 

Wumo

@toulousain, @dcro, @Monzanator, @Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo, @Henry_Leon, @Dolby, @ritesh, @africaboy, @Vojthas, @George_D, @Agger, @Pablita, @ady48, @heywoodu, @SteveParker, @Speedy, @hckosice, @JOSE SEIJO, @Federer91, @PakoNatxo, @vinipereira, @Gianlu33, @Ufilov, @NikolaB, @tuniscof, @vlad, @szy123

@Dunadan, @Herberth10, @mihamiha, @MCMXC, @IoNuTzZ, @Wanderer, @Dnl, @SalamAkhi, @Michal Hroch, @anuj, @brunamoura, @rybak, @Benolympique, @Laraja, @sami-eg, @CCB, @justony, @LDOG, @Chatan, @andreas1990, @Kirkpatrick, @EselTheDonkey, @Topicmaster1010, @monte88, @Illya

first of all great suggestions!, i think we should go with the most "sure" event in the list, meaning that the most probable contest to be held because for me tbh i need time to study some of the events here and i really like to broaden my horizons so I'm in (and i'll vote for cycling for the formality of the things..)

9 minutes ago, Dnl said:

first of all great suggestions!, i think we should go with the most "sure" event in the list, meaning that the most probable contest to be held because for me tbh i need time to study some of the events here and i really like to broaden my horizons so I'm in (and i'll vote for cycling for the formality of the things..)

This is a fantastic point was well. It may be prudent to plan for events that are more likely to happen.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, Dnl said:

Already today ITTF announced that World Team Table Tennis Championships was postponed to 2021.

IFF has also announced that they will make a decision on the Men's World Floorball Championships in October. 

1 hour ago, Wumo said:

Already today ITTF announced that World Team Table Tennis Championships was postponed to 2021.

IFF has also announced that they will make a decision on the Men's World Floorball Championships in October. 

Didn’t ITG report that last week? I thought it was odd you had included it.

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Didn’t ITG report that last week? I thought it was odd you had included it.

I did not see that ITG had reported on that. I wasn't sure that ITTF had already planned to postponed it again?

To be honest, I have not been following sports news that closely in May and June. I'm starting with it again as more sports begin to start again after the pandemic break.