website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Venues

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Hockey has a much larger footprint than many sports including basketball and volleyball.  Yes, most arenas in North America are versatile enough that they work for both hockey and basketball.  And then in the rare instances they need more floor space, such as for a concert, they can make that work too

Ya but European-style arenas are bad for the sports that are popular in Europe (basketball, handball, volleyball) too. There is always a ton of empty space between the court and the spectators.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Ya but European-style arenas are bad for the sports that are popular in Europe (basketball, handball, volleyball) too. There is always a ton of empty space between the court and the spectators.

Seen plenty of football stadiums for them like that as well.  That's why it's next to impossible to build a suitable large scale athletics venue in the United States.  None of these billion dollar NFL stadiums would every leave that much room between the stands and the playing field

13 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Literally NOBODY in Poland builds an arena for hockey alone. It doesn't make any sense.

The multi-purpose arena (cap. 11,500) nearest to where I live:

Hockey:

comment_VUJbLS3WCaVXRqC1BypOf2IIz6LLev67

Tennis:

frame_000555.jpg

Volleyball:

uid_3f83314afbdd25c79f75c21526c8226b1559

ah, those non-rectangular arenas! another thing I really hate, even more than those needing to remove a full stand to adapt to the ice rink...

worse than this, only the fully rounded arenas you can find especially in Brazil, thanks to the influence of the (in)famous architect Oscar Niemeyer...

10 hours ago, opruh said:

Lmao, why would China prepare an extravagant venue for a sport that only 0.0000001% of the 1.4 Billion Chinese care about aka ice hockey. 

That makes it exactly 1.4 Chinese people who care about it, is that the only one non-bought Chinese on their hockey team + his child?

10 hours ago, opruh said:

Lmao, why would China prepare an extravagant venue for a sport that only 0.0000001% of the 1.4 Billion Chinese care about aka ice hockey. 

Well, considering how extravagant the ski jumping hill is, I guess by that logic 99.9999999% of the Chinese must care about it.

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I went out for dinner and drinks (mostly drinks) with some friends in Wukesong, where the Wukesong Hockey Arena is located.  Wukesong isn't really  a neighbourhood, it's a purposefully made nightlife area (though they close by 11pm apparently...).  It is sunken and has tons of "foreign" restaurants and bars, and an Ikea.  It is a 15 minute scooter ride from my place.  

The Japan/Czechia hockey game was just finishing up when I got there.  Here are some pics of the venue.  

1961065003.jpg