website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Venues

among the ugliest hockey stadiums in the Olympic history...

I really hate those spacings between the ice sheet and the stands in the Nat'l Indoor Stadium...and the Wukesong Arena is even worse...it looks like the Barclays Center when the Islanders used to play there...a non-hockey arena with disputable make up to adapt to something it doesn't own to it...:nopompom:

2 hours ago, phelps said:

I really hate those spacings between the ice sheet and the stands in the Nat'l Indoor Stadium...and the Wukesong Arena is even worse...it looks like the Barclays Center when the Islanders used to play there...a non-hockey arena with disputable make up to adapt to something it doesn't own to it...:nopompom:

I'm not sure why it seems so rare outside of North America to have fans right up against the glass.

It's a bit of a culture shock because in NA basically every arena is built with both hockey and basketball in mind, and when you do it that way it works extremely well for both sports.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

The problem with Barclays was that it was too small to fit a hockey rink, so it never worked there.  This is the opposite problem.. too much space.  That's tough to get when we're talking about a hockey ice surface.  And you're right, this looks extremely ugly

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

I'm not sure why it seems so rare outside of North America to have fans right up against the glass.

It's a bit of a culture shock because in NA basically every arena is built with both hockey and basketball in mind, and when you do it that way it works extremely well for both sports.

I think it's both because of a cultural thing (most ice rinks in Europe are just ice rinks, normally they are not multi-purpose arenas, the same for the handball/basketball/volleyball venues...they are built without having in mind to host ice sports) and because of cost managing...usually the European arenas are smaller and a lot less expensive than the US's...

just look also at big stadiums...there's no chance that in Europe anything like the newest US stadiums is going to be built...and I'm talking of the Minneapolis/Las Vegas stadiums, definitely not the So.Fi in L.A., which is out of standard also for North America...

but since I'm used to watch NHL and NBA on a daily basis, I just don't like the "European style" to build sports venues...I'd like our Continent (and especially my Country, of course) to invest a bit more in the spectators' comfort...but it's not gonna happen, I fear...

24 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think it's both because of a cultural thing (most ice rinks in Europe are just ice rinks, normally they are not multi-purpose arenas, the same for the handball/basketball/volleyball venues...they are built without having in mind to host ice sports) and because of cost managing...usually the European arenas are smaller and a lot less expensive than the US's...

just look also at big stadiums...there's no chance that in Europe anything like the newest US stadiums is going to be built...and I'm talking of the Minneapolis/Las Vegas stadiums, definitely not the So.Fi in L.A., which is out of standard also for North America...

but since I'm used to watch NHL and NBA on a daily basis, I just don't like the "European style" to build sports venues...I'd like our Continent (and especially my Country, of course) to invest a bit more in the spectators' comfort...but it's not gonna happen, I fear...

I mean it's not just big stadiums. My home town's small university has a hockey team (ofc) with an old, small arena (~3k seats) and even that has seats straight against the boards, and even that arena can quite easily be converted for basketball or concerts.

I think it's more of a cultural difference than a financial one. In North America it's just a necessity for most arenas to be able to easily transition from hosting hockey to hosting different types of events.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Literally NOBODY in Poland builds an arena for hockey alone. It doesn't make any sense.

The multi-purpose arena (cap. 11,500) nearest to where I live:

Hockey:

Tennis:

Volleyball:

Nobody in NA builds hockey specific arenas either. They just build arenas that can have a good layout for both hockey and basketball, along with concerts (and any sport where the field of play can fit within the size of a hockey rink). And generally they get fans closer to the court in every sport than you see in European arenas.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Nobody in NA builds hockey specific arenas either. They just build arenas that can have a good layout for both hockey and basketball, along with concerts (and any sport where the field of play can fit within the size of a hockey rink). And generally they get fans closer to the court in every sport than you see in European arenas.

Hockey has a much larger footprint than many sports including basketball and volleyball.  Yes, most arenas in North America are versatile enough that they work for both hockey and basketball.  And then in the rare instances they need more floor space, such as for a concert, they can make that work too