website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Venues

30 minutes ago, orangeman said:

The Ice Cube (formerly Water Cube) where curling will take place will only be at 20% capacity, or 1000 spectators. 

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/beijings-ice-cube-capacity-capped-20-covid-19-measure-2021-11-11/

We can expect the rest of the indoor venues to be the same, I guess. Having lived in Beijing during Covid this doesn't make much sense to me because everything here is usually business as usual, except with masks and health code.  I don't know why for the Olympics in particular we suddenly have to reduce capacity.  It's disappointing because, as with everything in China, it was already going to be hard to get tickets because everything is always snatched up by large companies right away and you basically have to be a local to understand how to get them (i.e. air, train and sporting events).  Now we know it'll be impossible.  Very disappointing because a big part of the reason I stayed here this year was for the Olympics. Now we're sure we won't be able to attend, and there will be no atmosphere, we'll just watch at home like I could have done anywhere.  I live so close to most of the Beijing venues, I had dreams of scootering over to catch a hockey game before hopping to catch some speed skating.  Very sad now.  

Having said that, Beijing is experiencing a "mild" outbreak again so things are getting crazy.  Probably due to the Olympics, a new policy is going into effect tomorrow where you cannot enter Beijing if you've been anywhere that has even 1 case in the last 14 days.  You also cannot go to any city with a land border or a port (i.e. Shanghai or Guangzhou).  So basically we are locked into Beijing until after the Olympics at least.  Now I know how the residents of Tokyo felt.  You suffer due to hosting, but you get nothing in return.  Even as a huge Olympic fan, it stings.  It probably stings more as a fan.  

don’t be so pessimistic. I still expect somehow we can get tickets. If I find the local ways to get tickets I will post here if anyone else interested. I went to Xi‘an early this year to watch the National Games and knew some methods to obtain ‘local’ tickets now.

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

don’t be so pessimistic. I still expect somehow we can get tickets. If I find the local ways to get tickets I will post here if anyone else interested. I went to Xi‘an early this year to watch the National Games and knew some methods to obtain ‘local’ tickets now.

I appreciate it, and we will see.  The reality is, sponsors get a certain amount of tickets and with the lower capacity that basically takes care of that.  I fear that the announcement earlier that residents could attend was just PR, and in reality it'll just be a chosen few from the elite.  

Just an example here: I recently went to the newly opened Universal Studios here in Beijing (awesome, btw!).  All VIP and fast track passes have been bought up for the next 6 months, as far as it goes.  Every day it moves, the next day in 6 months is sold out before it hits the app.  It's the same for travel tickets and special event tickets here all the time.  I actually like living here non-covid times, but this is one of the most frustrating things.  I thought the Olympics would be different since it's overseen by an international organization.  We'll see.  

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, JonPhi said:

It seems to be really really windy in the Biathlon Stadium :yikes::yikes::yikes:

And some interesting tracks there: https://www.ruptly.tv/en/videos/20211228-033-China-Preparations-for-2022-Winter-Olympics-Biathlon-underway-in-Zhangjiakou

as OE Bjorndalen said, it's very similar to Antholz, wind from left to right, a demanding uphill section approaching the range and about 1700m above the sea level...

the main difference is the kind of snow...they say the Chinese snow is quite "aggressive", similar to the US kind rather than the European (Alpine) snow...

thinking about Hofer and Wierer's perspective, I only hope it's not gonna be too cold at Games' time...

And I'm afraid they will just stay like this. It's a dry area so having natural snow come the Olympics would be a real miracle.

Spoiler

"having natural snow come the Olympics would be a real miracle"

Geez, they are certainly picking curious hosts for the Winter Olympics...

#banbestmen

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

And I'm afraid they will just stay like this. It's a dry area so having natural snow come the Olympics would be a real miracle.

Hide contents

"having natural snow come the Olympics would be a real miracle"

Geez, they are certainly picking curious hosts for the Winter Olympics...

At least it's not a sub-tropical city this time :P

This will certainly be a very unique looking Winter Olympics.

• 3 weeks later...