website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

Because they originally won bronze after Mexico had two false starts in the bronze medal race

Oh, so not bullshit at all. Just taking advantage of the beginner's mistakes of the opponents :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Oh, so not bullshit at all. Just taking advantage of the beginner's mistakes of the opponents :d 

I don't say it was bullshit, just explaining why some here might consider that a bullshit medal.

As you say, I myself only blame Mexican riders for originally losing that race.

Just now, mrv86 said:

I don't say it was bullshit, just explaining why some here might consider that a bullshit medal.

Yeah no worries, that was meant for our American friend who used that term :p 

Thanks for the explanation!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I still don't understand how Rafaela Silva was stripped of the gold medal, but still was allowed to compete (and earned a team bronze medal) at the Judo World Championships. 

Because fenoterol is on the WADA list of banned substances, she wasn't provisionally suspended and can compete until a decision if she's gonna be banned or not is made.

If somehow she proves her innocence, she can appeal to have her Pan Am medal back. But most likely she will get (at least) a 2-year ban and lose the Worlds medal (and maybe the team will lose their medal too, since she participated at that contest) + the Brasília Grand Slam bronze which she won in October.

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Bullshit how?

6 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Because they originally won bronze after Mexico had two false starts in the bronze medal race

Here’s a recap of the bronze medal race:

attempt 1: :MEX start gate failure

attempt 2: :BRA start gate failure

attempt 3: :MEX start gate failure

:BRA ruled winner by :MEX DSQ (even though Mexico had proved they could start properly on attempt 2 when Brazil couldn’t)

Gold Medal Race also had 2 start gate failures. Team Pursuit, and women’s races were also plagued by start gate failures. The volunteers had no fucking idea what they were doing, and it was obviously the federation had not trained them to use the equipment. In fact, members of the Peruvian federation seemed confused about the start gate as well.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

They didn’t in my opinion. That loss was on the organizers. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Because fenoterol is on the WADA list of banned substances, she wasn't provisionally suspended and can compete until a decision if she's gonna be banned or not is made.

If somehow she proves her innocence, she can appeal to have her Pan Am medal back. But most likely she will get (at least) a 2-year ban and lose the Worlds medal (and maybe the team will lose their medal too, since she participated at that contest) + the Brasília Grand Slam bronze which she won in October.

So, why even let her compete? This is getting more and more ridiculous, and Brazil will end up only with Mayra Aguiar's medal at the WCh. I'm worried with our chances at the Olympics at this rate. Judo used to be a source of 3+ medals at the Olympics and now we'll be lucky to have even one.

• 4 weeks later...

I know after most major events like this, there’s generally an opportunity to buy game-used equipment and other items from the games. Does anybody know if Lima is doing this? (Or already has). 

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I know after most major events like this, there’s generally an opportunity to buy game-used equipment and other items from the games. Does anybody know if Lima is doing this? (Or already has). 

Toronto 2015 did this a week after the closing ceremony for Parapans, so it likely has been completed for Lima 2019

10 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Toronto 2015 did this a week after the closing ceremony for Parapans, so it likely has been completed for Lima 2019

Interesting, I checked but never saw anything. It took Rio like 3 months. Well, if you happen to hear/see something about that please tell me. I want one of those sweet rugby balls.