website statistics

Para Athletics at the Summer Paralympic Games 2020

Fly_like_a_don

So just watched Malaysian news and basically the 3 athletes were late due to rain and the way to the call room was crowded (which I assume athletes and other people were sheltering).

Malaysian deputy sport minister said that initally the Ukrainians were already protesting on why these 3 guys were allowed to compete. After a series of lobbying they were allowed to compete “under protest”, perhaps with the thought that the jury will be in favor of them based on what happened.

But the jury did not find those reasons justifiable and gave them DNS.

Well it sucks since the world has watched Ziyad broke the world record then got annulled for this. And to have it happen on Malaysian Independence day just added extra insult to the Malaysians.

3 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Jeohsah, athlete from my town, got 4th place in High Jump T64 :thumbup:

Great result after 6th in Rio, especially considering he trained in an abandoned factory.

Reveal hidden contents

Is the Indian athlete’s name really Praveen Kumar Praveen Kumar?  Seems a shortage of inspiration from his parents.

After an appeal (probably from China?), Brazil loses a gold medal Men's Shot Put F57 almost half a day after the event. Somehow Thiago Paulino has now only 1 valid mark which still gives him the bronze medal. Just one more controversial decision at these Games.

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

After an appeal (probably from China?), Brazil loses a gold medal Men's Shot Put F57 almost half a day after the event. Somehow Thiago Paulino has now only 1 valid mark which still gives him the bronze medal. Just one more controversial decision at these Games.

I know that the classification process was highly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, so that may be why there has been so many classification controversies at these Games. I think the lack of major international competition is also to blame for the controversies as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I know that the classification process was highly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, so that may be why there has been so many classification controversies at these Games. I think the lack of major international competition is also to blame for the controversies as well.

I don't think this is classification issue. If there was classification issue, he would have been disqualified. I think it must be some issue which came up after his first throw which resulted in yellow card and removal of his remaining throws. 

I think Syrian also had atleast one of his throws removed retrospectively. During live scoring, he went ahead of Indian and then dropped back below him. 

I am sorry, but these things should not happen. You can't come back half a day later and say sorry we made a mistake, you are not eligible for this competition or sorry, the WR throw that you made yesterday was a foul and our judges couldn't spot it in real time. All these things should be handled before competition. 

You want to delay the competition, delay it but all these issues need to be solved in real time. Not a day after.