website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating ISU World Cup 2021 - 2022

George_D

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Looking at previous Wc and World cup results is not promising. Ofc they could have improved in the mean time, but with the rising of other countries....this sport has gotten super competitive.

I'm pretty sure there is no need to worry :yes Looking at the profils of some of the qualified athlete in Pyeongchang, I'd be highly surprised if WC medallists like Sarault do not make the cut. 

Some summary of results from day 1:

Nations qualified for the QF in the men's 500m (top 20)

• 3 athletes: :NED:CHN
  • 2 athletes: :CAN:HUN:ITA:FRA:RUS
  • 1 athlete:   :KAZ:USA:LAT:KOR

Nations qualified for the SF in the men's 1500m (top 21)

• 3 athletes: :HUN:CHN:JPN
  • 2 athletes: :CAN:RUS:FRA:KAZ
  • 1 athlete:   :BEL:ISR:NED:POL

Nations qualified for the QF in the women's 500m (top 20)

• 3 athletes: :CAN:CHN:POL
  • 2 athletes: :KOR:NED:ITA:HUN:RUS
  • 1 athlete:   :FRA

Nations qualified for the SF in the women's 1500m (top 21)

• 3 athletes: :KOR:ITA
  • 2 athletes: :CHN:RUS:USA:CAN
  • 1 athlete:   :JPN:BEL:HUN:NED:FRA:GER:UKR

Nations qualified for the SF of the mixed 2000m relay:

:KOR:CAN:HUN:FRA:NED:JPN:CHN:ITA

The world record was broken three times (unsurprisingly, given how new the event is), by :KOR in heat 1, :NED in heat 2 and finally :CHN in heat 4.

Still don't get the advancement system ... in the first 1000m heat, Lepape is knocked out two laps from the finish line by Sighel, who's penalized, but the Frenchman is not advanced. I guess that's because he was in third position at the time but he was clearly menacing and could have qualified, even by time staying third (thing we couldn't know as it was the first race but still) :mumble: In a further race Corey is pushed out by Kim in the second lap, moves from first to last, but as the push was light he stays in the race and one lap later climbs in first again. Then he's just outpaced and finishes last ... but he's advanced :crazy:

7 hours ago, SalamAkhi said:

Still don't get the advancement system ... in the first 1000m heat, Lepape is knocked out two laps from the finish line by Sighel, who's penalized, but the Frenchman is not advanced. I guess that's because he was in third position at the time but he was clearly menacing and could have qualified, even by time staying third (thing we couldn't know as it was the first race but still) :mumble: In a further race Corey is pushed out by Kim in the second lap, moves from first to last, but as the push was light he stays in the race and one lap later climbs in first again. Then he's just outpaced and finishes last ... but he's advanced :crazy:

You only get advanced if the incident happened when you were in a automatic qualification position. Basically to prevent people fighting for minor places to have an incentive to bump into each other and force a call.

Summary of day 2 of qualifications:

Nations qualified for the QF in the men's 1000m (top 20)

• 3 athletes: :HUN
  • 2 athletes: :CHN:KOR:RUS
  • 1 athlete: :CAN:KAZ:FRA:GER:ISR:JPN:BEL:AUS:ITA:USA:LAT

Nations qualified for the QF in the women's 1000m (top 20)

• 3 athletes: :KOR:RUS:NED:CHN
  • 2 athletes: :CAN:USA
  • 1 athlete: :JPN:HUN:ITA:FRA

Nations qualified for the SF in the men's 5000m relay

:KOR:NED:RUS:FRA:HUN:CHN:CAN:ITA

Nations qualified for the SF in the women's 3000m relay

:NED:ITA:USA:POL:FRA:CHN:RUS:KOR:CAN

The race of the day was definitively the first quarterfinal in the men's 5000m relay where :ITA just barely held off :KAZ by 0.002s

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

You only get advanced if the incident happened when you were in a automatic qualification position. Basically to prevent people fighting for minor places to have an incentive to bump into each other and force a call.

I understand that, but the second call I mentioned is quite appalling when you put it into perspective :wall: