website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Team Sizes Road to Paris 2024

:SMR team update (April 2024)

Current Quotas (1)

Myles Amine - Men’s -86kg Freestyle (Wrestling)

Amine goes into Paris as one of the rare medal hopes for San Marino, as he won Olympic bronze in Tokyo for San Marino’s third ever Olympic medal (and third in history, all were at Tokyo) along with another Tokyo bronze medalist Alessandra Perlii in women’s trap (shooting) assuming she can qualify. With the mixed team trap event being scratched after Tokyo and Gian Marco Bertii retiring since, no chance of them repeating their silver medal again. 

Ideal Quota Allocation: 6

Shooting (2) - Alessandra Perlii is in a great position to qualify through the Rankings/one of the Olympic Qualification events, and even if she doesn’t she’ll probably get the available universality quota. Also think that Manuel Mancini can secure a universality quota in men’s trap here.

Swimming (2) - Men’s and women’s universality quota. For the men, Loris Bianchi in men’s 200m/400m/800m freestyle seems the most likely but we could also be seeing Gicomo Casadei in men’s 100m/200m breaststroke.  On the women’s side, it’s much more simpler with Arianna Valloni expected to get universality quotas in women’s 800m/1500m freestyle. 

Athletics (1) - I think despite not sending her to the previous two World Championships, Alessandra Gasparelli seems like a decent bet for a universality quota in women’s 100m. Could be Francesco Sansovini in men’s 100m however. 

Edited by Josh

1 hour ago, Jur said:

I dont wanna be the barrer of bad news but I think that Golf doesnt have Universiality quotas if I'm not mistaken :(

If France doesn’t need to utilize their host quotas (one per gender), those turn into universality quotas according to the qualification system.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

If France doesn’t need to utilize their host quotas (one per gender), those turn into universality quotas according to the qualification system.

Well I didnt read that part. Happy I wasnt the barrer lf bad news.

(Golf should have more Universiality to be fair. Is a 60 golfers pull, lets be real....)

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Team :ISV Update and Thoughts (April 2024)

Current Quotas: 2

Archery - 1 (men's individual recurve)

Fencing - 1 (men's foil)

Schembri and D'Amour qualifiying has provided some nice relief after a rather quiet qualification season. Both are certainly some of the islands' best athletic prospects. If they stay healthly and avoid any miscellaneous issues, I look forward to seeing what results they can achieve in Paris.

Ideal Quota Allocation: 6-8

@Topicmaster1010 simulated 8 quotas for Team ISV, which feels a bit generous at this moment (not that it wasn't appreicated :d). I'm definitely keeping my eye on Michelle Smith (athletics). If she can get a quota in the women's 400m hurdles, I believe that will garantee an additional male quota in athletics as well. Other than Smith, I can't envision any other quotas outside universality allocations. I have no idea which sports/athletes the NOC targeted, but the following allocation would leave me very pleased:

Archery - 1 (women's individual recurve)

Golf - 1 (women's individual) [Swayne had that nice 6th place result at Santiago 2023. It would be cool to see her compete in Paris.]

Swimming - 2

Sailing - ? [I don't feel like it was a particularly great cycle for the sailing team. Dale might be a candidate for a universality quota in ILCA7 though.]

Actually, I simulated 5 athletes for Virgin Islands in this years update :d. It did include an athlete in fencing and archery so that's already checked off. It didn't factor in Michelle Smith though so if she does qualify through the rankings, they could have another male universality. Add the two swimmers to that and then you would get 6 athletes.