website statistics

Tennis ITF US Open 2021

George_D

Osaka needs to get back to playing tennis. Due to her "mental health" stunt she's lost all match practice and seems to be more focused on the off-court marketing stuff. The hard courts' best WTA player of the last couple of years is now losing to opponents she'd blow away in 55 minutes in peak form. If this loss doesn't wake her up I don't know what else will. This season is basically a wash for her anyway. 

As for Alcaraz, well, that is a huge result for ATP. They have more or less found the next Nadal who now gets that big elite scalp and will milk him together with Sinner like crazy going forward.

48 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think Osaka might not play for some or all of 2022. She seems to hinting at a much longer break.

She probably won't play again in 2021 allthough there is the big Indian Wells tournament to be played in October. Idk if her sponsors would be fine with her sitting out 2022 unless she wants to play the martyr card or whatever. Due to lack of match practice she's tailed off on hard courts this summer and clay & grass were never her strong suits to begin with. This is a complete shitshow from a sporting pespective and the question is whether Osaka wants to be a tennis player or just a full-time celebrity sitting on all those big endorsements?

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

She probably won't play again in 2021 allthough there is the big Indian Wells tournament to be played in October. Idk if her sponsors would be fine with her sitting out 2022 unless she wants to play the martyr card or whatever. Due to lack of match practice she's tailed off on hard courts this summer and clay & grass were never her strong suits to begin with. This is a complete shitshow from a sporting pespective and the question is whether Osaka wants to be a tennis player or just a full-time celebrity sitting on all those big endorsements?

I think for her the sponsor duties are exciting as she never has had much of a life outside of tennis and doesn’t have many friends. 

11 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think for her the sponsor duties are exciting as she never has had much of a life outside of tennis and doesn’t have many friends. 

Tennis players usually don't have many friends on the circuit unless they play juniors together since they were in middle school (like Wozniacki, Radwanska & Azarenka used to). Moreover every friendship can go south like the infamous Laura Robson vs Eugenie Bouchard fall out :evil: