website statistics

Asian Games 2018

Fly_like_a_don

13 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I also see the same trend in trying to drop all the high weight events in Boxing , karate and weight lifting which  would have hit Iran the worst .... but the succeeded in boxing which is shameful ...... a core event in a core sport  ;-( .......... these guys are idiots and this will never help them become a good sporting nation ....... I estimate we lost at least 5 golds due to the changes , primarily in team sports in shooting as well as compound archery 

Yes that would hit Iran badly. which it did in boxing. for the first time in history we will most probably leave the Asian Games with no medal in boxing. in Karate and Weightlifting, that was Asian Federation who prevent such disaster to happen. I mean in weightlifting the super heavyweight is always the highlight of the competition how come they can even think about dropping that !

I blame other Asian countries for letting such a disaster to happen. if you check the news. they made some changes at the end when some Asian countries (and therefore some Asian sports federations) stood against them. even though to be honest while they cut some of our favorite events in Taekwondo. Wrestling, Archery etc. they also added Kurash and Sport climbing (we expect gold in both sports)

I also can't believe how come we have Kurash, Jujitsu and Sambo altogether in the Games ! they are quite similar and similar to Judo ! this is not Indonesia's fault though. that was kind of a deal between OCA and Indonesia. when Indonesia was sabotaging the program. some other Asian countries (Uzbekistan, Kazkhastan and UAE) took advantage of it and added their own sports.

33 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and it seems we will be back to the normal situation for 2022. Olympics sports + 6 non-Olympic sports (not picked up by the host) I'm OK if OCA itself decides to add anything but "not because of host nation's request"

Adding one sport from every one of the five regions of China does seem a bit comparable with what Indonesia is doing, doesn't it?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Adding one sport from every one of the five regions of China does seem a bit comparable with what Indonesia is doing, doesn't it?

China doesn't really need that. they can win medal at almost everything :d if I'm not wrong in current program they had won medal in all sports except only two, Kabaddi and Squash.

but I think if China adding something to the Games, it's not really because they want to win more medals (like what Indonesia did) that's mostly because they want to develop some of their domestic sports in Asia.

24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Its one sport per region of the OCA, Insidethegames is wrong with the the "five regions of CHina"

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Its one sport per region of the OCA, Insidethegames is wrong with the the "five regions of CHina"

That clarifies things and is actually rather interesting. I don't care so much about specifically having all Olympic events (I mean, as a sports fan I can see them in plenty other places), but if all Asian/OCA regions are represented in terms of sports, that's good :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

47 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That clarifies things and is actually rather interesting. I don't care so much about specifically having all Olympic events (I mean, as a sports fan I can see them in plenty other places), but if all Asian/OCA regions are represented in terms of sports, that's good :d 

I thought you are making a joke :d

so let's say Sepaktakraw for Southeast Asia, Wushu for East Asia, Kabaddi for South Asia. what about Central and West Asia ?! OK we can think about Kurash for Central Asia but still West Asia (which is our region) never had a specific sport in the Games and I can't think of any sport. :mumble:

edit: OK Jujitsu came to mind, the Brazilian Jujitsu which is insanely popular in UAE but UAE is not equal to West Asia.

Edited by MHSN

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I thought you are making a joke :d

so let's say Sepaktakraw for Southeast Asia, Wushu for East Asia, Kabaddi for South Asia. what about Central and West Asia ?! OK we can think about Kurash for Central Asia but still West Asia (which is our region) never had a specific sport in the Games and I can't think of any sport. :mumble:

edit: OK Jujitsu came to mind, the Brazilian Jujitsu which is insanely popular in UAE but UAE is not equal to West Asia.

What about the Iranian sport I can never spell that’s with a Z. It would give Medal opportunities to countries like Iraq, Iran, Ahganistan, Pakistan, and other “lesser” nations

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I think adding sports to the program by the host nation isn't some thing new and it's even happening in next Olympic games , maybe they consider it as a little compensation for the host :d the best thing they've done to the program IMO is deleting those team events in shooting , it was only serving China in pistol and rifle and Gulf countries in shotgun , but ofc i'm against deleting events included in the olympic program