website statistics

Skeleton at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

• 3 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong please. The IBSF Ranking List takes into account the best results recorded by the athletes in the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 seasons, with a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 16 (8 + 8 WC in this period) races per athlete ?

2 hours ago, SalamAkhi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong please. The IBSF Ranking List takes into account the best results recorded by the athletes in the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 seasons, with a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 16 (8 + 8 WC in this period) races per athlete ?

IBSF only takes points from the 2021-22 season into account. They take into account the same number of races as there have been world cup races (so if there have been five world cup races at the time of the Olympic cut-off they take each athlete's five best results).

• 1 month later...

Finally, only 7 races taken into account so the current IBSF rankings are pretty much set in stone. 

Men : :IRL Doyle needs 87 points to overcome :ESP Mirambell, i.e top 17 in Saint-Moritz.

Women : :SWE Stratton needs 99 points to overcome :FRA Bessard, i.e top 15 in Saint-Moritz. 

Paradoxically, :LAT Terauda only gets the 10th/11 individual quota, but Latvia (Zunte) is only 4 points away from stealing the second quota to :GBR Deas. If the later finishes next race on her sled, GB will obtain two starters easily though. 

I am finding this last minute plea by Frimpong a little ridiculous.  He seems to be saying that positive covid test has made it impossible to qualify, not crappy uncompetitive results.  Maybe I am wrong, but I was glad they stopped the continental qualifiers.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:03 PM, SalamAkhi said:

Finally, only 7 races taken into account so the current IBSF rankings are pretty much set in stone. 

Men : :IRL Doyle needs 87 points to overcome :ESP Mirambell, i.e top 17 in Saint-Moritz.

Women : :SWE Stratton needs 99 points to overcome :FRA Bessard, i.e top 15 in Saint-Moritz. 

Paradoxically, :LAT Terauda only gets the 10th/11 individual quota, but Latvia (Zunte) is only 4 points away from stealing the second quota to :GBR Deas. If the later finishes next race on her sled, GB will obtain two starters easily though. 

And Doyle is not eligible to compete in Saint-Moritz so it is the Romanian Enanche who is closest, who really was closest anyway needing 81 points, or a 17th place.

In the Women's Bessard moved up with the EC races, so Terauda is the final qualifier, Stratton has no real chance of catching up.  Zunte is not racing so the two starters race is done.

1 hour ago, evil betty said:

I am finding this last minute plea by Frimpong a little ridiculous.  He seems to be saying that positive covid test has made it impossible to qualify, not crappy uncompetitive results.  Maybe I am wrong, but I was glad they stopped the continental qualifiers.

What the IOC should be doing is having floating tripartite invitations for countries who's best athletes aren't Alpine or cross country skiers. I'd rather see someone like Frimpong compete than some random skier who went to some dodgy FIS race.

Just now, NearPup said:

What the IOC should be doing is having floating tripartite invitations for countries who's best athletes aren't Alpine or cross country skiers. I'd rather see someone like Frimpong compete than some random skier who went to some dodgy FIS race.

Plus, Akwasi and Simidele have both made a legitimate effort to improve their level and develop the sport in their respective countries. Both :GHA and :NGR had additional sliders attend IBSF camps earlier this season. How does the IBSF or IOC expect to expand the Winter Olympics/winter sports to Africa when they’re actively killing the opportunities of those making good faith efforts to do just that? 

I 100% agree with the idea of floating universality or tripartite quotas.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Plus, Akwasi and Simidele have both made a legitimate effort to improve their level and develop the sport in their respective countries. Both :GHA and :NGR had additional sliders attend IBSF camps earlier this season. How does the IBSF or IOC expect to expand the Winter Olympics/winter sports to Africa when they’re actively killing the opportunities of those making good faith efforts to do just that? 

I think it's a big problem that Alpine and cross country skiing have to bear all the weight of universality places. My approach would be to offer all otherwise unqualified NOCs up to two universality places (one per gender) across all individual sports, as long as the athlete meets the basic requirements, and make those places available outside the sport's quota (set aside like 100 quota places for it overall, which can be taken from Alpine and cross country).

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Fair points.  The Nigerian bobsled is going to end up being close and were competitive, I was really cheering for them to make it. I guess I find the recent story about Frimpong hard to swallow though.  His heartbreak over the covid test is weird, why does he believe that he was going substantially better than his earlier results this season.  It is not like he did not have opportunities, and he was not close.