website statistics

Luge at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

39 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Federer91 Any news on if :BUL got reallocated a quota in women’s singles? 

Nothing official yet from what i saw. I know they were expecting a potential quota here, but final confirmation should be received tomorrow.

Full list of quotas and nominated athletes was posted by the FIL today: https://www.fil-luge.org/cdn/uploads/fil-luge-qualification-list.pdf

:NED declines their quota in women’s singles, which went to :IRL

:TPE either declined their quota in men’s singles, or were never awarded one, thus giving :SVK a second quota in men’s singles.

I think the FIL interpreted their qualification document different than we had in mind. “If there are still remaining quota places that are not filled after applying D.2, quota places will be allocated to the next highest ranked eligible athlete/doubles team from an NOC that has not earned a quota place according to D.1…” My guess, based off the allocations made, would be that the FIL interpreted this rule as only unqualified NOCs could earn a quota through D.3. That would explain why :TPE and :BUL were seemingly passed over for men’s and women’s singles quota respectively. This clause explains how :SVK got that second quota in this case: “If there are still remaining quota places that are not filled after applying D.3.1, quota places will be allocated to the NOC with the next highest ranked eligible athlete/doubles team…”

Edit: This would also be the reason :MDA:ARG didn’t get a men’s singles quota.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 1/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, Olympian1010 said:

Full list of quotas and nominated athletes was posted by the FIL today: https://www.fil-luge.org/cdn/uploads/fil-luge-qualification-list.pdf

:NED declines their quota in women’s singles, which went to :IRL

:TPE either declined their quota in men’s singles, or were never awarded one, thus giving :SVK a second quota in men’s singles.

I think the FIL interpreted their qualification document different than we had in mind. “If there are still remaining quota places that are not filled after applying D.2, quota places will be allocated to the next highest ranked eligible athlete/doubles team from an NOC that has not earned a quota place according to D.1…” My guess, based off the allocations made, would be that the FIL interpreted this rule as only unqualified NOCs could earn a quota through D.3. That would explain why :TPE and :BUL were seemingly passed over for men’s and women’s singles quota respectively. This clause explains how :SVK got that second quota in this case: “If there are still remaining quota places that are not filled after applying D.3.1, quota places will be allocated to the NOC with the next highest ranked eligible athlete/doubles team…”

Edit: This would also be the reason :MDA:ARG didn’t get a men’s singles quota.

Still strange that Slovakia reported that they received their second quota in men's singles through reallocation.  Could be a misunderstanding though since they reported it before reallocation was supposed to be happening.  Also, I tried reading (and translating) through Lien Te-ann's instagram and I think he was saying that he missed qualifying by one spot.  There was also something about an injured hand as well, but it didn't stop him from racing so probably irrelevent.