website statistics

Freestyle Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

Just now, NearPup said:

China lost a super close call in men's slopestyle that a lot of people think they got wrong (the BBC claims to have spoken to one of the judges who said they missed Parrot's leg grab and that had they spotted it he wouldn't have won). So I really don't think this applies to these park and pipe events.

To my eye Gu deserves the win.

McMorris had a better run than Su in his fina lrun... so either way Canada would have won gold.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

McMorris had a better run than Su in his fina lrun... so either way Canada would have won gold.

After looking back at the event sober mindedly my definitive take is that you can make a credible case that any of the three medallists deserved to win. But it was close enough that if there was any home cooking Su would have won, and it would probably have been less controversial than the result that actually happened.

9 minutes ago, PHI2019 said:

Why is it that some of the athletes in the Big Air competition don’t have their two best runs count in the final score or in the case of the 12th place athlete, just the third run?

Some scores got "A" and some got "B" and it seems to be the best A and best B put together. The person in 12th had three As. Basically, you can't do the same rotation twice or they'll both count as A (this happened to the :FIN athlete)

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

1 minute ago, Mkbw50 said:

Some scores got "A" and some got "B" and it seems to be the best A and best B put together. The person in 12th had three As. Basically, you can't do the same rotation twice or they'll both count as A (this happened to the :FIN athlete)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Sure, but did the judges under-mark her first two jumps? I think so.

That's the problem with a judging system like this. Judges don't want to post big marks in the early rounds since someone can always pull their best trick in the last round if neccessary. And you will have to overscore that or it will look underscored instead. You always leave the cushion early hence we probably never see 97-98 point jumps in Big Air? I mean even in ski jumping you get a 20.0 for style more often :p