website statistics

Figure Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

However making quad jumps is what separates the Russians from the rest so that is the whole point. You don't win gold medals in figure skating on stamina but on technical content in the end. I'll still take Witt's words over yours no matter if she's not a doctor :p

Obviously Valieva, Trusova & Shcherbakova won't be back for the next Olympics though. Russians will send a new wave of teenagers to Cortina. I read Robin Cousins' comments on BBC how they all have probably two more Olympics ahead of them. What a load of crap. This might be true for nations with zero depth where one skater has literally no competition to speak of (Poland!) but not Russia.

then, the main question is: how do you make them do those quad jumps?

overtraining?

and if it's because of (too much) hard training, how do you make them sustain this routine day after day? not with gentle encouragement words, I guess...

16 hours ago, Monzanator said:

However making quad jumps is what separates the Russians from the rest so that is the whole point. You don't win gold medals in figure skating on stamina but on technical content in the end. I'll still take Witt's words over yours no matter if she's not a doctor :p

But the extra stamina might be exactly what allows the Russians to perform quads while the rest of the world cannot. I'm not taking it as a fact, but just as a theory.

19 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

That's total rubbish. Glad you will never be heard and the rule will never come. I'm all ok with 15 years as minimum. 

LOL. This actually sounds like "I'm glad no one listens to your demands because I'm quite happy that my demands are accounted for."

Either way, it's undeniable that there needs to be a discussion about the age limit, whether we like it or not. Thankfully, both women's artistic and rhythmic gymnastics are progressively reaching a point where proposing a minimum age limit of 18 years old would not be awkward. Most of the girls who are fighting for medals are 20 to 25 years old nowadays, and the most notable exceptions are the Russians. Coincidence?

Tarasova/Morozov are usually such a dumpster fire in free skates. I think they will drop out of the medals.

M/G are the only ones who can threat home pair, but I don't think it's happening. Fans don't like them. Judges don't like them. With a clean program they will be silver at best.

#banbestmen

Just now, Monzanator said:

A completely failed lift for :GER Don't see that too often.

Ugh. Another one. The guy looks injured tbh.

No, he was recently released from his 2 weeks incarceration after a positive Covid test prior to the Opening Ceremony.

1 minute ago, LowerSaxony said:

No, he was recently released from his 2 weeks incarceration after a positive Covid test prior to the Opening Ceremony.

After all, I think nearly all the athletes that had to go into quarantine in Beijing were not able to be competitive in his/her event. Riiber, Ilves, Frenzel, Seegert... did I missed someone?