website statistics

Bobsleigh at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

Ya, this definitively felt like an event not quite ready for primetime.

I do think monobob (for men and women, actually) would make a lot of sense as a way to protect the ability of countries with smaller bobsleigh programs to compete at the Olympics when the IOC inevitably forced the IBSF to reduce the number of men's quotas.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Agreed, a complete shitshow. This clearly shouldn't be an olympic event. From a german perspective i won't complain though, from 2026 onwards it should be another free gold. I would be shocked if this event wouldn't develope the same way women's ski jumping did.

Per rules, everyone uses the same sled in monobob. No flying carpets for Germany here. :finger:

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Per rules, everyone uses the same sled in monobob. No flying carpets for Germany here. :finger:

The US and Canada were early to the party, hence their dominance. I have no doubt that Germany will catch up soon and then become the number 1. The american grandmas also won't be around much longer.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Ya, this definitively felt like an event not quite ready for primetime.

I do think monobob (for men and women, actually) would make a lot of sense as a way to protect the ability of countries with smaller bobsleigh programs to compete at the Olympics when the IOC inevitably forced the IBSF to reduce the number of men's quotas.

Give them the four-women event or eliminate the second Women's event. I think monobob what used to be a training sled for youth athletes is a disgrace for bobsleigh in general and specifically for the female athletes. (I know an elimination won't happen..)

1 minute ago, LowerSaxony said:

Give them the four-women event or eliminate the second Women's event. I think monobob what used to be a training sled for youth athletes is a disgrace for bobsleigh in general and specifically for the female athletes. (I know an elimination won't happen..)

It's not quite the same. Monobobs used at the Youth Olympics are planks with no articulation. Steering is reduced to the minimum. Could almost be said that the drivers are merely passengers after the start.

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

I like this event and think that men's 4-man should be replaced by monobob as well, but currently the women clearly aren't ready.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.