website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Can someone remind me again, why nations are rejecting quotas in general. Is it money based, because they have to pay for the travel, stay etc. and they don't want to bring athletes they know won't do good? 

All these rejections the last 2 days has made me sad, because we are probably going to send only 16 people. Our chief secretary said today, that he is hoping we could get 1-2 more after the deadlines depending on the acceptance. We are willing to send people, but the problem is, that we don't have them, while other nations have the people and don't want to send them.

There is a philosophy that if you only take athletes who are "contenders" it will motivate athletes to work harder. For example that's what swimming Australia subscribes to (they have very harsh selection criteria). I personally think that's sort of BS, but eh.

9 hours ago, NearPup said:

There is a philosophy that if you only take athletes who are "contenders" it will motivate athletes to work harder. For example that's what swimming Australia subscribes to (they have very harsh selection criteria). I personally think that's sort of BS, but eh.

It may not work for everyone but setting tougher qualification criteria seems to have helped GB Swimming improve standards. I'm sure there are many other examples around the world as well.

20 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

It may not work for everyone but setting tougher qualification criteria seems to have helped GB Swimming improve standards. I'm sure there are many other examples around the world as well.

Or was it the medicine man ? 😂

39 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Canada used to take this approach during the dark days, but has since relayed (still requires the FINA A cut in most cases, but nothing as drastic as Australia) and results have actually improved since loosening qualification standards. So YMMV.

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Canada used to take this approach during the dark days, but has since relayed (still requires the FINA A cut in most cases, but nothing as drastic as Australia) and results have actually improved since loosening qualification standards. So YMMV.

That's why I said at the outset it may not work for everyone and of course there are lots of other factors that come into play as well not least having athletes with  talent. Without that setting high standards is meaningless.