website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, LowerSaxony said:

The middle tier nations, such as those qualified for team event etc., do not have too many quota places, in my opinion. Those nations suffer from this qualification system, too, as nations like Croatia, Russia, New Zealand etc. do not have that many athletes in the TOP 30 lists and, thus, do not have that many quotas.

The current qualification system means: Anytime a nation manages to get an athlete below the required FIS points criteria, the available places which are allocated via the Olympic Quota Allocation List (D.3) are reduced by one. I like the idea of a broad representation of small nations, but I don't think it's good when Austria has to hope that Israel or Kenya declines a quota place in order to get their world class athlete to the Olympics. With the given number of quota places the share of "low class" athletes is simply too high, at least for Alpine Skiing. For this reason, the qualification system should state that the maximum number of athletes to qualify via "basic quota" is X and the maximum number of athletes to qualify via World Cup is Y.

Ofc, the entire problem would be solved if they just raise the overall number of athletes but that likely won't happen ;-)

Again the issue is without using my rule where nations qualified via D.2 or D.3 are not eligible for a D.1 quota the FIS would just make 80 men and 80 female quotas the basic quota and we are back to the same place. The IOC won't allow FIS to decrease the universality quotas so your options are either a low ranked "mid-tier" nation athlete or a top tier nation getting most of the quotas it deserves.

Hope for Austria:

Norway has nominated their Team:

Lucas Braathen (Bærums Skiklub), Timon Haugan (Oppdal), Mina Fürst Holtmann (Bærums), Aleksander Aamodt Kilde (Lommedalen), Henrik Kristoffersen (Rælingen), Atle Lie McGrath (Bærum), Ragnhild Mowinckel (Rivale), Adrian Smiseth Sejerst Stabæk ), Sebastian Foss Solevåg (Spjelkavik), Thea Louise Stjernesund (Hakadal), Maria Therese Tviberg (Geilo), Rasmus Windingstad (Bærum).

Only 8 man, but they accepted 9 quotas :mumble:

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

We are officially offered 4th women's quota (France accepted 1, returned 3). Really curious if they will accept it as an U.S. based collegiate skier is the best we can offer.

It would appear :CRO rejected that quota.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

:GER accepts a men’s quota. Ball in :NOR court as to whether or not :AUT gets 9 or 10 skiers.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Can someone remind me again, why nations are rejecting quotas in general. Is it money based, because they have to pay for the travel, stay etc. and they don't want to bring athletes they know won't do good? 

All these rejections the last 2 days has made me sad, because we are probably going to send only 16 people. Our chief secretary said today, that he is hoping we could get 1-2 more after the deadlines depending on the acceptance. We are willing to send people, but the problem is, that we don't have them, while other nations have the people and don't want to send them.

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

Can someone remind me again, why nations are rejecting quotas in general. Is it money based, because they have to pay for the travel, stay etc. and they don't want to bring athletes they know won't do good? 

All these rejections the last 2 days has made me sad, because we are probably going to send only 16 people. Our chief secretary said today, that he is hoping we could get 1-2 more after the deadlines depending on the acceptance. We are willing to send people, but the problem is, that we don't have them, while other nations have the people and don't want to send them.

Money is a big issue. Also for some nations funding is tied to performance at the Olympics and it's better to have five top 10 results than five top 10 results + one 30th result.

8 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Some of the bigger nations might also have athletes in multiple events and that would leave no room for additional quotas to compete.