website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 11:47 PM, intoronto said:

More info on Beijing 2022 qualification, including times:

https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/25971-isu-communication-2407/file

I really did not get what are the requirments to qualify ..... Will it be based on WC points or times or what? Tomorrow starts first WC and I am really wondering where to start and how to count qualified NOCs or athletes....

34 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I really did not get what are the requirments to qualify ..... Will it be based on WC points or times or what? Tomorrow starts first WC and I am really wondering where to start and how to count qualified NOCs or athletes....

Placement at World Cups averaged out.

1 hour ago, Jan Linha said:

World cup points (page 11 of the document). Best three out of four results count.

Basically in order the 112 quotas are given like this:

* 4 quotas for the eight NOCs with a m/w relay.

* a 5th quota for an NOC with a relay and at least eight entries in individual events.

* a number of quotas equal to the highest number of entries in individual events (i.e. if you qualify one entry in the 500m, 1000m and 1500m you get one quota, but if you qualify two entries in the 500m you get two quotas).

* any remaining quota gets redistributed first to the mixed relay, then to give countries with a m/w relay a fifth athlete.

For individual entries, quotas for NOCs that don’t have a relay are given one by one, first in the 500m, then the 1000m and then in the 1500m. I.e. the NOC of the first placed athlete in the 500m gets a quota, then the first place in the 1000m, then the first place in the 1500m, then the second place in the 500m and so on.

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

And the award for the most convoluted system goes to....

Too mamy spots are reserved for the relays. And the mixed relay will only make things worse than it used to be.

Seems more complicated than it really is. Moreover, countries able to qualify a relay have no problem earning three individual spots per race, so it seems legit to offer them a 4th/5th spot. 

2 hours ago, dcro said:

And the award for the most convoluted system goes to....

Too mamy spots are reserved for the relays. And the mixed relay will only make things worse than it used to be.

The mixed relay actually has no effect. Quota places only get allocated to the mixed relay if all individual spots are filled and there are quotas left over (and the number of individual spots has in fact gone up vs. previous iterations of the qualification system since teams that qualify a relay are now guaranteed only 4 quotas, as opposed to 5 previously).

The relay is also the best event in short track, so *shrugs*

If I count it correctly (I know, I've never done that correctly before Sochi and PyeongChang) there is only 10 mixed teams qualified and there is a problem with 1000 m men - after reaching the 56 men, the quota should go to :NED but it would be their eighth, so it should give them the 5th athlete and exceed the 56 maximum. So does it go to the next non-colliding (China and Italy) or simply Netherlands doesn't get the fifth athlete, but gets the eighth quota and third in 1000 men. Similar applies to Canada in 1500 men. No problem among women.

PS. To be sure - is it the athlete "by name" or "China 1", "Korea 1", "China 2" at each WC stage counting to "China 1" etc. overall?