website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, NearPup said:

As a unit it's disappointing. Canada won four events they were favoured to win, lost events they were favoured to win and didn't win anything where they weren't the favourite.

Dubreuil winning silver in the 1000 was unexpected.  It was the men's side that under performed, and specifically Bloemen (not attacking him directly).  Two golds less from the M 500 and Mass Start, but somewhat unexpected gold in W pursuit.  

I predicted 6-8 medals with 2-3 golds, ended up with 5 medals with 1 gold.  Below expectations for sure, but not a complete disaster after Dubreuil's silver, especially after considering other sports (*cough cough curling cough*).  

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Except those still have better formats. You can actually go off the front or contest intermediate sprints and win the race still.

Yeah, there's no way someone will lap the field in speed skating on the long track so that makes all the points kinda worthless in the end.

Bart Swings :BEL now has a gold medal at the Winter Olympics and the World Games. I’d imagine that’s not a particularly common combination. I’d have to do more research I don’t have time for to find out unfortunately.

I’m just happy to see another one of the good guys (inline skaters) win :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, hckošice said:

once again, any single reason why dutch don´t play hockey ? the normal one I mean

Well :NED are the world champions in women's hockey, the normal one. 

In ice hockey , the boring form of hockey, where all players crash into others every now and then for the tiny puck which sometimes needs a magnifying glass to be watched on television, they aren't too bothered you know. 

9 minutes ago, orangeman said:

but somewhat unexpected gold in W pursuit. 

Eh, I'd say going in Canada was at least equal favourite with Japan there. Certainly a silver was the worst result :CAN was ever going to have in that event, baring a fall, a massive under-performance or the :NED speed skating team magically discovering teamwork somehow.

6 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Dubreuil winning silver in the 1000 was unexpected.  It was the men's side that under performed, and specifically Bloemen (not attacking him directly).  Two golds less from the M 500 and Mass Start, but somewhat unexpected gold in W pursuit.  

I predicted 6-8 medals with 2-3 golds, ended up with 5 medals with 1 gold.  Below expectations for sure, but not a complete disaster after Dubreuil's silver, especially after considering other sports (*cough cough curling cough*).  

I feel like every Olympics since 2006 Canada has underperformed at Speed Skating. Getting 5 medals and one gold doesn't totally feel like a total disaster. 

6 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Well :NED are the world champions in women's hockey, the normal one. 

In ice hockey , the boring form of hockey, where all players crash into others every now and then for the tiny puck which sometimes needs a magnifying glass to be watched on television, they aren't too bothered you know. 

Hope you understand I was joking ;) I know you guys love the field one a lot :yes

It is just for me always a mistery why they do not at least try to form a program considering they are the bets in speed skating for a reason, this is already a huge advantage in ice hockey. Really hard to understand :(

48 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I think Speed Skating can have separate mass start and points race and maybe leave 1500m . Two short distance(500,1000) , 1 pursuit, 2 long distances then 1 mass start and 1 points race. I also don't mind if 1 of the long distance events is left off instead of 1500m. 

restoration is the key...

mass start (unless they take the true Marathon format) and team pursuit must go...

the traditional 5 distances are more then enough...and they must not be touched by those youth and urban fanatics who are destroying the Olympics (Summer or Winter doesn't make any difference)...:redcard: :stop: