website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

Of all the (numerous) Olympic records set in SLC 20 years ago, there's essentially just the men's 1000m left now.* Has anyone ever gone sub-1:07.18 on a lowland rink?

[* Men's 500m x 2 OR narrowly survived Sochi before the 500m replaced it]

6 hours ago, Edvid said:

Of all the (numerous) Olympic records set in SLC 20 years ago, there's essentially just the men's 1000m left now.* Has anyone ever gone sub-1:07.18 on a lowland rink?

[* Men's 500m x 2 OR narrowly survived Sochi before the 500m replaced it]

yes, Heerenveen's track record is 1.07.09 (by Pavel Kulizhnikov in 2020)

Finally caught up with speed skating. :rolleyes: Men's 1500 m race was a definite highlight for me so far. :drama:

Disappointed that old records are getting broken by hilarious margins. That just continues the recent trend where all WRs and ORs must be held by active athletes. At any cost. But for no particular reason.

#banbestmen

On 2/8/2022 at 12:46 PM, Dennis said:

The Americans are disappointing again. Dawson has an excuse as he only arrived in Beijing this morning, but skaters like Bowe and Mantia are underperforming. 

Not the first time this happens at the Olympics. 

I guess their only real hope is Jackson, provided she stays immune to this American flopping syndrome.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Finally caught up with speed skating. :rolleyes: Men's 1500 m race was a definite highlight for me so far. :drama:

Disappointed that old records are getting broken by hilarious margins. That just continues the recent trend where all WRs and ORs must be held by active athletes. At any cost. But for no particular reason.

It's more hilarious to still have 2002 OR's, to be fair :p Not that anyone really cares about OR's, I assume.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Meanwhile, day of days as far as I'm concerned today, only a little more than an hour to go :hyper: 

Let's see if Van der Poel does something with his 'anger' after coming up with 'corruption' and 'the biggest scandal in the sport' (something with the Dutch influencing the ice, which isn't really true, but he probably wanted some attention, so there you go :p ). It's a speed skating 'scandal' so obviously it made newspaper covers here :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!