website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Ted said:

So beautiful! Do you happen to know which well-known ice rink it is similar to (at least in terms of altitude)? Can @heywoodu perhaps provide some info?

According to wikipedia, the most comparable oval that I've seen in international competitions in terms of altitude is the one in Stavanger in Norway (49m vs 48m respectively).  

In terms of Olympic Ovals, the closest one in altitude is Korea's from 2018 (26m).  Sochi's was 27m, but it has been renovated into something else since.  Lillehammer was 125m.  

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

According to wikipedia, the most comparable oval that I've seen in international competitions in terms of altitude is the one in Stavanger in Norway (49m vs 48m respectively).  

In terms of Olympic Ovals, the closest one in altitude is Korea's from 2018 (26m).  Sochi's was 27m, but it has been renovated into something else since.  Lillehammer was 125m.  

Which all counts as similar, to be fair. There isn't really any significant difference between a track at sea level or one at 250m or something, at least nothing that's a bigger factor than the actual quality of the ice :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which all counts as similar, to be fair. There isn't really any significant difference between a track at sea level or one at 250m or something, at least nothing that's a bigger factor than the actual quality of the ice :p 

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  Not SLC or Calgary, pretty normal.  

29 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I’m not a design expert but the color of the seats reminds me of clothespins :p

TBH I don’t love the “look of the games” so far. I’d say it’s my least favorite since SLC. But that’s of course highly subjective (I loved Vancouver’s, and that one was pretty divisive iirc) and I may change my mind as I see more venues (so far only got a really good look at curling and speed skating).

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

TBH I don’t love the “look of the games” so far. I’d say it’s my least favorite since SLC. But that’s of course highly subjective (I loved Vancouver’s, and that one was pretty divisive iirc) and I may change my mind as I see more venues (so far only got a really good look at curling and speed skating).

Yea I agree

The Look is not that great.

• 2 weeks later...