website statistics

Biathlon at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

Just now, NearPup said:

He doesn’t want to switch if he can avoid it.

I know he does not want to switch, and it looks like that talk will subside with this news.  I am glad for that.  Hopefully his success will help grow the sport in New Zealand, and by extension Australia.  I know they are two very different nations and biathlon federations, but would Australia really want to be passed by NZ?

Although I would have welcomed him into the US team, I am glad he will represent NZ.

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now I'm curious if he'll stay with the team/coach he has been with for the past few years, or if he'll try and join a bigger team or something.

He still lives and trains in Livigno...I don't think anything's gonna change for him (except maybe that he would make a bit more money from personal sponsors and he won't switch his sport Nationality...to Italy! :cry:)...

48 minutes ago, phelps said:

He still lives and trains in Livigno...I don't think anything's gonna change for him (except maybe that he would make a bit more money from personal sponsors and he won't switch his sport Nationality...to Italy! :cry:)...

Yeah, he has been part of the (originally Australian/Brazilian and sometimes slightly Spanish/Irish) Bormolini team for a few years already, and I don't see them letting him go anytime soon :d 

It seems to work for him though, better than for anyone else in the organization. But it also makes me wonder what would be possible if he could at some point join something bigger.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, he has been part of the (originally Australian/Brazilian and sometimes slightly Spanish/Irish) Bormolini team for a few years already, and I don't see them letting him go anytime soon :d 

It seems to work for him though, better than for anyone else in the organization. But it also makes me wonder what would be possible if he could at some point join something bigger.

according to our main biathlon/wintersports expert, he was talking with our federation to understand if there's room for him in our NT...

and it looks our coaches are more than happy to have him with us (still it wouldn't be that easy for him to get an Italian passport in a relatively quick time)...

but now it's highly unlikely he's going to switch Nationality after NZ decided to let him go to Beijing with their colours (which is always been his dream and primary option)...

One of the officials of the Olympic Games, Yang Shu, declared: "Any behavior or speech contrary to the Olympic spirit, in particular to Chinese laws and regulations, is also punishable of a certain penalty".

Vetle Sjastad Christiansen - If I want to talk I talk, I hate being told what to do. I would say what is close to my heart whatever the regulations in force." 

Sturla Holm Laegreid - "We have been told that we have to put politics aside for a few days. We were told that we should not criticize China under penalty of future sanctions, so I will remain silent."

So Sebastian Samulesson, also a very outspoken person might have some issues as well.  

15 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

One of the officials of the Olympic Games, Yang Shu, declared: "Any behavior or speech contrary to the Olympic spirit, in particular to Chinese laws and regulations, is also punishable of a certain penalty".

Vetle Sjastad Christiansen - If I want to talk I talk, I hate being told what to do. I would say what is close to my heart whatever the regulations in force." 

Sturla Holm Laegreid - "We have been told that we have to put politics aside for a few days. We were told that we should not criticize China under penalty of future sanctions, so I will remain silent."

So Sebastian Samulesson, also a very outspoken person might have some issues as well.  

Let’s see how many lawsuits the outspoken athletes file against IOC if they get punished.

I’m sure they can be held accountable under Swiss and/or European courts of breaching “freedom of expression” for turning a blind eye to these host demands.

(And I guess Russian athletes to some extent could also sue to display their flag and hear their anthem)

1st 15 Men's Mass Start Quotas:

:BLR Belarus: 1 (Smolski)

:FIN Finland: 1 (Seppala)

:FRA France: 4 (Claude, Desthieux, Fillon Maillet, Jacquelin)

:GER Germany: 2 (Doll, Kuehn)

:NOR Norway: 4 (J. Boe, T. Boe, Christiansen, Laegreid)

:ROC ROC: 2 (Latypov, Loginov)

:SWE Sweden: 1 (Samuelsson)