website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games?

Fly_like_a_don

20 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The British team is very weak. GB won 20 medals in 2014 but this time will be lucky to get 5.

Totally agree! Really stupid decision not to send anyone swimming or athletics. We had some amazing young middle distance runners that would have challenged and who all qualified but had their quota declined.

My final prediction: 

4/5 golds and 10-15 medals overall.

High chances in all 6 teams sports events.

High chances in sailing and rowing. 

Good chance in boys beach volleyball.

Swimming 400/800FR girls for sure, but color will depend in the opponents that come.

In Athletics shot put boys and maybe pole vault are best chances.

Probably some 3-4 random medals in combat sports, canoeing, equestrian, shooting, etc given the size of our team and the format of those events.

Edited by LDOG

Just now, uk12points said:

Totally agree! Really stupid decision not to send anyone swimming or athletics. We had some amazing young middle distance runners that would have challenged and who all qualified but had their quota declined.

The 2 big medal chances should come from relatives of established sports stars.

Caroline Dubois in boxing is the sister of Daniel Dubois, the English professional heavyweight champion and equestrian Jack Whitaker is the son of Olympic medalist Michael Whitaker

Why is 'youth' in the actual name of the event not written with a capital letter where it should be with a capital letter, whereas 'many', 'medals', 'you', 'expect', 'your' and 'nation' are written with a capital which should not be the case? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Why is 'youth' in the actual name of the event not written with a capital letter where it should be with a capital letter, whereas 'many', 'medals', 'you', 'expect', 'your' and 'nation' are written with a capital which should not be the case? :p 

1) It's not important;

2) it's a title so if you want to be pedantic every word except prepositons, conjunctions and articles should be capitalized

17 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

I feel that you may be too optimistic in gold

atheletics - as per wiki we do not have a hammer thrower but wiki is often wrong m but I think rana after the japanese nakamura should be a likely silver and chitravel in triple and suraj in 5000km walk both have some chance ......so 0-1-1

badminton - i would say lakshya for a medal - possibly silver or bronze as he is currently ranked 3rd, I do not feel vaishnavi will medal  so 0-0-1

shooting - definately our best chance , with 4 shooters , all except Mane of world repute , but shooting is such an inexact sport so 1-0-1 in my opinion , possibly a mixed medal also is possible but it is such a crapshoot 

boxing - Jyoti again this definitely a gold prospect  so 1-0-0

wrestling - Manasi and Simran should medal but going against the japanese or chinese in womens wrestling  is tough so I will say 0-1-1

Hockey with aus and arg in the reckoning and arg on home ground we will get possibly 0-0-1 in my estimate, i hate that indian hockey does so badly in every multimedal event I am pessimistic 

weightlifting - jeremy should get a silver so 0-1-0

TT -i think manav has a chance so 0-0-1

all the rest including mixed shooting , judo , archery 0-0-1

total as per me ............. allowing for one bronze drop out 

2-3-6     11 medals 

Those predictions were on June 12th and things have changed a lot from there.. Many reallocations have taken place... So obviously that looks over optimistic now..... 

Here are the new chances. 

Athletics - javelin throw 1 medal.. 1s

If the rule of 2001 and 2002 born only wasn't there.. Things could have been different.. 

Boxing -1g Jyothi... 

Badminton -1g/s Provided Lakshya doesn't crumble under pressure. Vaishnavi was ranked 4th and had a chance after winning certain tournaments.. But an injury doesn't give her so much chance  now .

Shooting -We should get 3 medals but it's not a very predictable sport... So at least 1 gold and 1s/b must come... 

Weightlifting -1s/b Jeremy 

Wrestling -Mansi should reach the finals but there she may face the Japanese(provided she beats Europeans first) .. 

Simran doesn't have any Chinese or Japanese to worry about.... But one American and a Mongolian...

Hockey -We are the top 4 teams in the tournament in both categories.....  We have a strong side in both boys and girls... We almost choked to Malaysia in the qualifiers in boys and girls lost to China.... Both these could turn as re match for bronze... The girls side though has a vast experience.... And one can not underestimate the forward in senior team Lalremsiami.... So 1-2 medals 

Judo -Tababi Devi 1 gold 

I thought 1 medal but now she is the favourite for the gold all of a sudden..... 

So 9-10 medals including 3-4 golds

7 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Those predictions were on June 12th and things have changed a lot from there.. Many reallocations have taken place... So obviously that looks over optimistic now..... 

Here are the new chances. 

Athletics - javelin throw 1 medal.. 1s

If the rule of 2001 and 2002 born only wasn't there.. Things could have been different.. 

Boxing -1g Jyothi... 

Badminton -1g/s Provided Lakshya doesn't crumble under pressure. Vaishnavi was ranked 4th and had a chance after winning certain tournaments.. But an injury doesn't give her so much chance  now .

Shooting -We should get 3 medals but it's not a very predictable sport... So at least 1 gold and 1s/b must come... 

Weightlifting -1s/b Jeremy 

Wrestling -Mansi should reach the finals but there she may face the Japanese(provided she beats Europeans first) .. 

Simran doesn't have any Chinese or Japanese to worry about.... But one American and a Mongolian...

Hockey -We are the top 4 teams in the tournament in both categories.....  We have a strong side in both boys and girls... We almost choked to Malaysia in the qualifiers in boys and girls lost to China.... Both these could turn as re match for bronze... The girls side though has a vast experience.... And one can not underestimate the forward in senior team o.... Sr o 1-2 medals 

Judo -Tababi Devi 1 gold fin

I thought 1 medal but now she is the favourite for the gold all of a sudden..... 

So 9-10 medals including 3-4 golds

why gold  .tababi ....not following judo much ..........i thin manav in tt is ranked 3rd in world and he can definately medal. vaishnavi is 5th now i think 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

12 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

why gold  .tababi ....not following judo much ..........i thin manav in tt is ranked 3rd in world and he can definately medal. vaishnavi is 5th now i think 

https://www.ijf.org/competition/1593/judoka_athletes?id_weight=69....The list is quite weak... They merge 2 weights here so that the 2nd weight I'm not sure... But the Spanish and Ukrainian could be good... Yet so many countries from developing nations including our neighbours Nepal and Bhutan are there... The No 1 in the category is a classic example... She is qualified as no 1 bcoz she participated in many tournaments but when it came to big tournaments... She has lost in first rounds... So it tells about the system... More you participate more you earn... 

TT : Sometimes rankings may not depict a lot... The Chinese and Japanese are good... And Manav took so many tournaments to qualify losing to many unknown athletes... In girl's Archana Kamath is from my state.. She attended the college 1 day whole year yet got 7th rank in 12th exams (I too wrote the 12th exam  this year. :d    and getting 97% is not that easy... I missed from being in top 20 by couple of marks :( ..)..So may be she takes   more time for books  than practice :pBut that's common in India :lol: