website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

George_D

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

A 50 second shortened Super G or Downhill in Are would be a travesty. It was the only reason I supported the Italian bid. Cortina rarely has weather issues compared to Are.

by the way, Cortina will host only the women's alpine skiing...the men's events will be held in Bormio (which is way better than Cortina in terms of speed races's tracks)...:evil:

2 hours ago, dcro said:

I would have preferred that over a relatively weak Winter nation like Italy getting two Olympics in close proximity...

that's almost offensive...

we're not existing in those non-sport freestyle activities, but we're one of the few nations having (a few, I must admit) medal chances (or being close to them) in almost every true Winter sport...:whistle:

not bad for a country that only care of Winter sports in less than 10% of their people and territories...:facepalm:

not to mention that we have some of the most iconic venues for Wintersports, where the athletes will be able to compete without having to cope with farcical tracks (especially those practicing the snow sports)...:evil:

2 hours ago, phelps said:

by the way, Cortina will host only the women's alpine skiing...the men's events will be held in Bormio (which is way better than Cortina in terms of speed races's tracks)...:evil:

that's almost offensive...

we're not existing in those non-sport freestyle activities, but we're one of the few nations having (a few, I must admit) medal chances (or being close to them) in almost every true Winter sport...:whistle:

not bad for a country that only care of Winter sports in less than 10% of their people and territories...:facepalm:

not to mention that we have some of the most iconic venues for Wintersports, where the athletes will be able to compete without having to cope with farcical tracks (especially those practicing the snow sports)...:evil:

Really only 10% of Italians care of Winter Sports? Then why hell they got it two times in so short time? Why not give it to countries who actually care about Winter Sports?? Yes in that case Italy IS a small winter nation then. 

Anyway with the corrupt IOC Sweden never will get WOG even we deserve it as Winter Nation. 

57 minutes ago, Belle said:

Really only 10% of Italians care of Winter Sports? Then why hell they got it two times in so short time? Why not give it to countries who actually care about Winter Sports?? Yes in that case Italy IS a small winter nation then. 

Anyway with the corrupt IOC Sweden never will get WOG even we deserve it as Winter Nation. 

Sweden didn't have the public support that was needed.  I was honestly very surprised to see Stockholm bidding after they dropped out of the 2022 bids.  Italy won on the basis of stronger public support.  Sweden didn't have it.  I preferred their bid, but I can understand why the IOC went with Milano-Cortina

8 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Sweden didn't have the public support that was needed.  I was honestly very surprised to see Stockholm bidding after they dropped out of the 2022 bids.  Italy won on the basis of stronger public support.  Sweden didn't have it.  I preferred their bid, but I can understand why the IOC went with Milano-Cortina

But how has Italy the public support that’s needed if only 10% of the Italian people care about Winter Sports? :mumble:

1 hour ago, Belle said:

But how has Italy the public support that’s needed if only 10% of the Italian people care about Winter Sports? :mumble:

Because there's a difference between caring about winter sports and supporting a winter sports event coming to your country.  Italy has a lot of the infrastructure in place and isn't as far spread as the Stockholm bid was.  I wanted them to get the Olympics to have a games in Sweden, but even though I know Swedes love their winter sports, I can understand why they wouldn't be so excited to partner with the IOC.  Especially when it would required having events from Are to Sigulda.

2 hours ago, Belle said:

well, maybe 10% is a bit harsh, but surely, if you look at the Italian map, you can reasonably say that from Bologna going south, the interest is really marginal, no more than 2% of people regularly watch them on TV...

Winter sports are basically supported by the 3 big northern regions (Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto) and South Tyrol, where all the athletes generally come from (we only have few exceptions you can count on the fingers of one hand in terms of successful snow sports athletes coming from Emilia-Romagna or further South -the great Alberto Tomba above all...and Daniela Ceccarelli...and that's it for what concerns Olympic medallists)...

1 hour ago, Belle said:

because the regions listed above represent about 35% of the entire Italian population...and here we have strong support for "our" Games...

basically, Italy is a 2-way Country...with the northern regions having mainly Continental weather, culture, way of life and the rest of the Country being a true Mediterranean Nation, with totally different culture, traditions, attitude...and that's at the same time our best resource and our worst problem (on the other hand, if you study Italian history, the first thing you can notice is that our "Nation" is only 160 years young...before that, we were just one territory with many different States sharing the area)...

• 1 month later...

If Vancouver Bid for 2030, Vancouver is The favorite 

1, The IOC does not want to have an Asian country for 2030, especially for winter games. 2018, 2020/21, 2022 and 2032 are Asian/Oceanic countries. 
2, USA host 2028 Game

3, Vancouver 2010 facility is still within the guidelines of the FIS and ISBF. 

If Vancouver is not in the race, Salt Lake is likely to be the favorite, because of point #1.