website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Qualification Systems Road to Paris 2024

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I'm confused about shooting, on the bottom of page 4 it says

"One NOC can obtain only one quota place in any of the individual events at one designated ISSF Championship."

Does that mean nations can't earn two quotas in the same event at the same qualifier?

That makes things interesting, but I could be reading it wrong.

That's what it sounds like

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I'm confused about shooting, on the bottom of page 4 it says

"One NOC can obtain only one quota place in any of the individual events at one designated ISSF Championship."

Does that mean nations can't earn two quotas in the same event at the same qualifier?

That makes things interesting, but I could be reading it wrong.

That's how I read it too.

Also, they just decided to scratch all MQS requirements? That's lunacy. Are we going to see universality athletes hitting 50/125 in skeet at the Olympics or something?

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

That's how I read it too.

Also, they just decided to scratch all MQS requirements? That's lunacy. Are we going to see universality athletes hitting 50/125 in skeet at the Olympics or something?

There is so little universality slots now that they will likely select athletes that would have met previous MQS standards

4 minutes ago, intoronto said:

There is so little universality slots now that they will likely select athletes that would have met previous MQS standards

But then again, they couldn't find one MQS universality athlete to fill out the spots for M 25 m rapid fire pistol, M skeet, W 50 m rifle 3 positions, W trap, W skeet in Tokyo.

Unless I got something terribly wrong, some :PLW athlete can appear at the Oceanian Championships in women's trap. Hit 0/125 targets, but get ranking points and therefore be eligible for the Olympics?

#banbestmen

32 minutes ago, dcro said:

But then again, they couldn't find one MQS universality athlete to fill out the spots for M 25 m rapid fire pistol, M skeet, W 50 m rifle 3 positions, W trap, W skeet in Tokyo.

Unless I got something terribly wrong, some :PLW athlete can appear at the Oceanian Championships in women's trap. Hit 0/125 targets, but get ranking points and therefore be eligible for the Olympics?

Not exactly, athletes need to have participated in at least two events and they must have a ranking in the world rankings. Ranking points have a minimum number of participants, notably 15 for continental championships so countries in Africa and Oceania are at a disadvantage. Maybe someone from Pan America could sneak in.

36 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Not exactly, athletes need to have participated in at least two events and they must have a ranking in the world rankings. Ranking points have a minimum number of participants, notably 15 for continental championships so countries in Africa and Oceania are at a disadvantage. Maybe someone from Pan America could sneak in.

Great, so you can be from :SKN then, hit 0/125 targets in both Pan Am Championships, and be eligible for the universality spot. :p

#banbestmen

25 minutes ago, dcro said:

Great, so you can be from :SKN then, hit 0/125 targets in both Pan Am Championships, and be eligible for the universality spot. :p

You still need to finish in the top 15 at the continental qualifiers in order to get points and outside of women's trap and skeet we typically have 30+ competitors so there's at least some standard, but yes there is a chance that someone in women's skeet could be given a free spot.

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Boxing (whoever is running it at this point) just had to introduce that half kilo category (63.5)? :rolleyes:

actually, the Light Welterweights had that exact 63.5kg limit from 1952 through 2000, only in 2004 they started to change weight classes in order to have less events contested and the half kilo class was cancelled (going up to 64 first, then going down to 63 in 2020)...