website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Qualification Systems Road to Paris 2024

That football qualification document is ridiculous. TBD...

Also really wondering why there's 16 male teams and 12 female teams, when the women's Olympic tournament has far more pedigree in the sport.

5 hours ago, dcro said:

Yeah, and Africa got back to having two, despite the whole Zimbabwe-Zambia fiasco.

A second direct South American team is also pushing it, even if it was a formality to defeat the African team in the inter-continental qualifier

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

That football qualification document is ridiculous. TBD...

Also really wondering why there's 16 male teams and 12 female teams, when the women's Olympic tournament has far more pedigree in the sport.

The IOC doesn't want to increase athlete quotas, we are more likely to see a decrease in the men's event to 12 than an increase in the women's to 16.

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

Because the men's games sell more tickets even despite that.

Wtf :yikes: Only 2 tickets for European countries in the women's football tournament?

With 6 of the top 8 teams in the current World Ranking and at least 3 of them missing the Games, the women's Olympic football tournament can not be taken seriously.

3 hours ago, CCB said:

Wtf :yikes: Only 2 tickets for European countries in the women's football tournament?

With 6 of the top 8 teams in the current World Ranking and at least 3 of them missing the Games, the women's Olympic football tournament can not be taken seriously.

Not that I disagree but it's the same as in Tokyo (as france gets the host quota)

4 hours ago, Agger said:

Not that I disagree but it's the same as in Tokyo (as france gets the host quota)

Asia went from 2 to 2+host in 2020. The host quota not being tied to any continent is a common tactic for many sports and I thought FIFA figured that out, but I guess not. It's not like Africa and South America needed two quotas each, even having them share a second quota is already generous

https://www.concacaf.com/en/concacafw/news/concacaf-to-launch-revamped-w-championship-and-new-w-gold-cup/

Here's something that hasn't been picked up. For the women's football qualification in CONCACAF, the winner of the tournament will qualify and second-place will play against third-place in an "Olympic play-in series" in 2023.

I think this is in case Canada play the USA in the semi-final, to ensure that they still both have a chance to qualify

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold