website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Qualification Systems Road to Paris 2024

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:08 AM, intoronto said:

No they are not. They are only approved around the Winter Olympics. Likely the 2022 ISSF Championships will be the first one to hand out quotas as per tradition. 

The first sport qualification phase start is Judo, is start in May 2022 

7 hours ago, seb851 said:

The first sport qualification phase start is Judo, is start in May 2022 

I suppose similar might be for track and field? Well, that makes me wonder. Will WCH in Eugene count into the Road to Paris? When there is WCH 2023 in Budapest so I would guess results from Eugene would not count? 

It's now or never. The pandemic is far from over, so this is a unique chance for qualification systems to replace ranking with direct tournament qualifications whenever possible.

Probably not going to happen anyway, but oh well.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

It's now or never. The pandemic is far from over, so this is a unique chance for qualification systems to replace ranking with direct tournament qualifications whenever possible.

Probably not going to happen anyway, but oh well.

Why? I think ranking qualification is much better and fair. 
if tournament you can be injured or just have bad day and miss  the olympics. 

A mix of both is fine and most sports have a system that suits them. I prefer direct qualification for most sports but rankings definitely suit some 

The tokyo delay added a few complications but it’ll be back to ‘normal’ for Paris you’d imagine 

4 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Why? I think ranking qualification is much better and fair. 
if tournament you can be injured or just have bad day and miss  the olympics. 

That's why you have multiple direct qualifiers.

Ranking qualifications always give advantage to those with more resources. Not to mention that there are sports whose rankings literally allow points farming (3x3 basketball, cycling etc).

#banbestmen

Yeah, ranking qualification forces athletes to participate in 10+ events which can lock out some athletes who have little investments and a lot of them can be manipulated to the point where some rankings are horrible in predicting who is actually the best.

While I accept that in some sports, rankings will always be there, I do wish that in all sports there is at least one opportunity to allow athletes for direct qualification.