website statistics

Post Games Analysis | How do you analyse your country's performance at Tokyo 2020?

Germany did worse than expected, i think 45 medals would have been realistic and this result isn't representative of the current state of german summer olympic sports. The low medal count was mainly due to Germany losing too many safe medals (men's 800 m freestyle, men's javelin throw, women's javelin throw, men's decathlon, men's K1 1000 m canoeing sprint, men's C1 1000 m canoeing sprint, women's keirin, women's sprint, 1-2 x hockey, women's modern pentathlon, rowing men's single sculls, rowing women's quadruple sculls, shooting rapid fire pistol) and on the other hand not winning enough surprising medals (2 x diving, 1 x archery, 2 x athletics, 1 x judo, 1-2 x sailing).

Summary by sports:

Underperfomed: Athletics, canoeing sprint, rowing, shooting, cycling track, hockey, fencing, handball, modern pentathlon

Overperformed: Diving, canoeing slalom, sailing

As expected: Rest

I think german sports will bounce back a bit in 2024 as it did after the horrible 2018 olympics. In order to win 60+ medals, there would need to be some big changes. Obviously it would be a good start to have more funding, but even without that there is major room for improvements. In my opinion Germany should focus on less sports. Here is how i would distribute funding (with the current funding/year in paranthesis):

Diving+swimming+open water swimming: 8 million (4 million)

Athletics: 10 million (7 million)

Badminton: 1.5 million (0.9 million)

Boxing+wrestling+judo+taekwondo: 12 million (6.2 million)

Canoeing sprint+canoeing slalom: 5 million (3.5 million)

Mountainbike+road cycling+track cycling: 6 million (4.1 million)

Hockey+basketball+handball+volleyball+beach volleyball: 12 million (8.5 million)

Artistic gymnastics+trampoline: 6 million (2.4 million)

Rowing: 4 million (5.5 million)

Climbing: 1.5 million (-)

Table tennis: 1.5 million (1.1 million)

Tennis: 3 million (0.8 million)

Triathlon: 1.5 million (1.1 million)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 09/08/2021 at 13:40, De_Gambassi said:

0/10 We had our worst tally since Athens. No one expected that. Fuck, we are the next host, we were supposed to be on the rise before Paris, so actually it's -10/10 . But, BUT we had 3 golds in team sports, so it's like 40 golds in one ! And that includes the freaking volleyball team, that same one that was almost out after two games, that same one who was lead 0-2 against Slovenia in Berlin OQT in January 2000 ! And, we secure our Top 10 in medals table, even overpassing Germany and Italy on the last days just for the sake of it !

So really...

I don't know / 10

If that justifies a 0/10, then Germany probably would have to be -5 on your scale, considering it was the worst medal count since 1968 ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

GB did better than expected all things considered. Rowing was a big disappointment, and athletics could have been better, but overall we had some gold medals come that weren't really expected, and our teams did well in Sailing, Modern pentathlon, BMX Racing, BMX Freestyle, and Equestrian. Each Olympics is expected to be the one where we 'drop off' from our London 2012 'bounce', and it keeps not happening. I predict that at Paris 2024, we are told that Britain will have a medal target of 40 with 12 golds, and then get 60+ again.

Coming 4th in the medal table is very nice - I can't imagine Japan go anywhere near as well as they do in 2024, especially with Baseball/Softball and Karate gone. Their wrestling and Judo teams won't repeat the performance in Paris, I'd imagine.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

1. 8/10

Canada had its most successful non-boycotted SOG in terms of gold medals (7, tied with 92) and total medals (24). However, there were some notable disappointments.

2. Surprises: W8 gold medal in rowing.  They've historically done well in the event, but were not gold medal favourites going in.  Women's soccer getting gold was amazing, especially beating the US in the semis for revenge for having 2012 stolen from them by a corrupt ref.  Mitchell winning gold in track sprint on the last day was a great ending, and Genest getting Keirin bronze previously bodes well for our sprint track cycling team moving forward.  Seeing our big stars from Rio, Penny Oleksiak and Andre De Grasse succeed again was great.  

Disappointments: Women's beach volleyball.  In a matter of a couple of hours we went from looking forward to a possible all Canada semifinal to having both our teams lose quite easily in the quarters.  Women's basketball and rugby teams were supposed to be medal threats and didn't even make it out of group play.  This was the first SOG with no wrestling medals in a very long time.  In boxing, Mandy Bujold fought so hard to be there through arbitration and courts just to be completely outmatched in her first round.  One medal in diving, with only one individual diver making it to a final, was a big disappointment.  

Overall, Canada historically has an issue with finishing 4th.  There have been quite a few articles written about it in the past, and as a nation we always try to figure out why.  This time I believe we got 12 4ths, along with 3 other bronze medal losses (in combat sports, so technically you finish 5th).  That's 15 near misses for a country that got 24 actual medals.  I'm not sure about this year, but it has been proven in many other Olympics that Canada gets the most 4th/5th places with regard to their actual medal count. Some of these 4ths were shocks (men's 4x100 freestyle relay) and some were due to injury (Rosie in trampoline), but it's still incredibly frustrating as a Canadian sports fan.  Some will say it's a sign of how powerful the whole team is among a variety of sports, but you start to believe your country just lacks the killer instinct to get to the top.   

So that's why I only gave an 8/10.  There was a point where Canada had more 4th places than gold+silver+bronze, and we were getting 2 a day with no medals. In the end the numbers got better, but it was frustrating for a bit.  

3. Canada had no stated goal, but I'd think breaking medal records probably does it.  

4.  Idk which sports will get more funding, but one of our banks (RBC) had a development program for athletes that showed promise.  Many of them had fantastic results - Kelsey Mitchell won track cycling gold and she just took up the sport in 2017 due to this program!  Her teammate Lauriane Genest is also part of this program and got a bronze.  Another member, Avalon Wasteneys, got gold as part of the W8 rowing team.  Pierce Lepage finished 5th in decathlon (same spot as Warner in his first Olympics).  They're already looking for more athletes to support for Paris, so I can see this continuing to be a huge success.  

:NZL

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

8/10

Far from perfect but closer to perfect obviously than above average. But you can't argue with 7 golds and 20 medals but when you consider 4 4ths and a truckload of 5ths and 93% of the team in the top 10 that's a whole load of what ifs...

10 sports won medals for the country.

2. What were the suprises and  heartbreaks ?

Biggest surprises were the Mens eight winning the blue ribbon event in rowing and in my opinion one of the blue ribboned events of the Olympics so much history in this event. It was our first gold in this event since 1972 and our first medalists in the eights since 76. You have to remember it was being led by a rowing legend in Hamish Bond part of the infamous Kiwi pair who were unbeaten and were never beaten from 2009-2016 who collected his 3rd gold and was leading a very novice and young group of guys to a gold. Also our first ever gymnastics medal and a surprise medal in the Mens triathlon even though we've medalled in this event before Hayden Wilde had only started in 2016 just to lose weight but was told he was good enough to represent NZ little did we know he'd be collecting a bronze already.

Heartbreak, well it has to go to the Mens team pursuit in track cycling. Broke the WR along with Italy but Filippo Ganna is just a machine and won it for Italy in the final 50m and prevented us from being in the Gold/Silver medal ride off. Then no luck at all when leading Australia for the bronze with 800m to go and were increasing the deficit but then Aaron Gate hit a teammates wheel and it was all over.

Burling and Tuke leading the 49ers then the Germans spoiled the party and got between us and the Brits. The latter winning the gold and NZ having to settle for silver.

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

NZOC had a target of 16 medals we ended up with 20 so by their estimates yes. By the publics, yes. But the sailors had a shocking regatta and by their exceptional standards very disappointing regatta.

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? 

Current / Upcoming sports

The NZ government has pledged more funding to sport throughout NZ and the opening up of a sports institute in the South Island (finally). Since the debacle of Sydney 2000 we're now only seeing the benefits of increased funding.

Obviously Rowing, Canoeing, the usual suspects will get more investment.  Canoeing especially because now they want to see more investment to the burgeoning juniors coming through on the Mens side. I have a feeling Equestrian, Field Hockey Womens Football and Sailing will get a reduction. All 4 had a poor Olympics. But I do see an improvement in Sailing because NZ and Sailing go hand in hand. 

On a side note and one that's not related it will be interesting to see how our winter olympians go early next year. Judging from current trajectory it all points to it being very successful and may finally break our gold medal duck (touchwood). But big pressure on the freestyle skiers and snowboarders to deliver. There seems to be quite a bit of optimism around these young teenagers and young adults.

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

Overall, Canada historically has an issue with finishing 4th.  There have been quite a few articles written about it in the past, and as a nation we always try to figure out why.  This time I believe we got 12 4ths, along with 3 other bronze medal losses (in combat sports, so technically you finish 5th).  That's 15 near misses for a country that got 24 actual medals.  I'm not sure about this year, but it has been proven in many other Olympics that Canada gets the most 4th/5th places with regard to their actual medal count. Some of these 4ths were shocks (men's 4x100 freestyle relay) and some were due to injury (Rosie in trampoline), but it's still incredibly frustrating as a Canadian sports fan.  Some will say it's a sign of how powerful the whole team is among a variety of sports, but you start to believe your country just lacks the killer instinct to get to the top.   

I think most countries believe their athletes lack this 'killer instinct' to reach golds/medals. We all tend to overplay the potential of our own, and when they fail to reach this slightly illusional potential, we go for the easy answer : they lack some kind of mental strength. When really, it's more complex than that.

FOR ITALY
1) 6/10 for global performance. Italy wins 10 gold medals, and is 10th in medal table, like all predictions. Surprise is where we win. Nothin from out traditionally sports, like fencing, boxing and shooting, all fromo atletics. And i'm totally agree with @phelps for singles sports judgements.

2) Obviusly 5 golds in track&fields. If Jacobs was a medal candidate, the 4x100 relay is totally unexpected. Heaartberak is in the most important 15 minutes of italian's sport of ever, with Tamberi's and Jacobs wins.

3) Our country's goal is ever top10 on medal table and about 10 golds and 35 medals. Italy is quite stable on this level.

4) All, in Italy sport is totally killed by politicians, during pandemic year our athletes was not able to training free, and now many activities are still closed. Every medal is a miracle for us.

On 8/9/2021 at 6:23 AM, Fly_like_a_don said:

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

1- Absolutely Terrible 

2 - Bad

9- Kinda Awesome 

10- Fantastic, Unbelievable 

2. What were the suprises and  heartbreaks ?

Current / Upcoming sports

Performance rating. A 4 to 5.

It wasn't all bad, but it was below expectations. Particularly in the last couple of days, canoe sprint and track cycling especially were a big disappointment.

And nope, the goal was not achieved.

Biggest surprise was silver for race walker Jonathan Hilbert. I guess gold for Alexander Zverev in tennis was a surprise as well. The medal itself not so much, but that it was the gold medal.

Biggest heartbreak was decathletes Niklas Kaul's injury in high jump. I'm still not really over it and I'm sure he would have won a medal. Biggest disappointments were Oliver Zeidler in rowing and Johannes Vetter in javelin.

1 hour ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

FOR ITALY
1) 6/10 for global performance. Italy wins 10 gold medals, and is 10th in medal table, like all predictions. Surprise is where we win. Nothin from out traditionally sports, like fencing, boxing and shooting, all fromo atletics. And i'm totally agree with @phelps for singles sports judgements.

2) Obviusly 5 golds in track&fields. If Jacobs was a medal candidate, the 4x100 relay is totally unexpected. Heaartberak is in the most important 15 minutes of italian's sport of ever, with Tamberi's and Jacobs wins.

3) Our country's goal is ever top10 on medal table and about 10 golds and 35 medals. Italy is quite stable on this level.

4) All, in Italy sport is totally killed by politicians, during pandemic year our athletes was not able to training free, and now many activities are still closed. Every medal is a miracle for us.

Honestly I totally disagree with you, you are too much pessimistic. And the 4th one, CONI and Malago are doing an amazing work. 

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

3/10 Poor, but not completely awful as one could have feared at some point during the games thanks to the last week-end. The overall number of medals is a major disappointment (worst total tied with Athens since 1992), but the number of golds (and thus our ranking in the medals table) is around what was expected.

Obviously, with Paris as the next host, one would have assume that we would have been on the rise before our home games like previously hosts were. But it was never going to happen : overall, we had a poor qualification run and probably had a worst team with less potential medallists than in Rio.

2. What were the surprises and  heartbreaks ?

The surprises have been few. The biggest one being Romain Cannone ranked world number 47 or something and eventually gold medallist in fencing. Team sports have also been incredible successful with 6 medals and 3 golds with only the 3*3 women basketball team being a let down. The men's volleyball team gold seem to me like the biggest surprise any french NT ever achieved during the olympics (possibly tied with the men's handball bronze in 1992)

Heartbreaks ? So many... Just on the top of my head: Vincent Luis (Triathlon), Herbert-Mahut (tennis), the men's épée team, the men and particularly the women MTB team, Vincent Daudet (BMX), Benjamin Thomas (Omnium) Marc Antoine Olivier (OW swimming), Valentin Prades (Pentathlon) ...  Major contenders for gold who all failed to reach their objective and even worst to even secure a podium, which largely explains why we didn't achieve as many medals as we are used to.

Cycling have once again been the major disappointment of the french team. They were expecting 6 medals and are leaving Tokyo with 2 bronze... At some point, you can't blame everything on 'bad luck". There is something wrong here, that need to be fixed ASAP.

Contrary to Rio with boxing and athletics (6 medals each), we didn't have any sport really overperforming. Judo (8 medals) and fencing (5) have been by far our main medals factories, but that was expected and I don't think such level of success was out of reach prior to the olympics.

As I've said on the other thread, what worries me the most is that once again we have failed to match our results from the previous world championships during the olympics. 

Nothing was set in stone, but the discussion was about 40 medals. So, no.

Not one in particular, but it seems that the money will be less spread accros sports and that we are moving slowly to an athlete-per-athlete approach.